Oh Spattlecock Oh Spattlecock....

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by dirtsailor2003, Dec 23, 2013.

1. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yep that's right I'm gonna Spattlecock this bird for our Xmass eve bash! Have no fear it's not really a new technique, just another word for spatchcock.

Somehow I thought today was yesterday and so my bird is gonna be a day behind schedule. Going in the brine tonight. Pull in the morning and air dry until it goes in the smoker around 3. Also doing a pork loin, and our Family meat pies.

That's right cold smoking some eggs for some deviled eggs appetizers!

2. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Case... I cut my eggs in half before going in the smoker... yoke gets some smoke that way.... dunno If you do or not so I thought I would mention it....

3. dirtsailor2003

Dude you're living on the edge! Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Tonight I didn't. Main reason is we have some guests coming that don't care for FLAVOR!!! I will be adding crumbled bacon to these though just to add something new to the mix!

4. dirtsailor2003

The bird is Spatched, the bird is brined, the bones are boiling for stock! Eggs in the smoker, now the not so fun part if the evening, cleaning house, YUCK!

5. dirtsailor2003

6. dougmays

dougmays Limited Mod Group Lead

In!

7. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Man you do a lot of chicks.

I am in too.

8. dirtsailor2003

Don't tell the wife!

yotzee likes this.
  9. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I know you are going to smoke and impress...... Cleaning, well those extra brownie points, always good to bank a few extra for the holidays.

So you gonna show the meat pies? We don't do a lot of them on the gulf coast, closest thing we get is chicken pot pie.

10. dirtsailor2003

Yes I will show the meat pies. These won't be smoked and my mom is bringing them! So the photos will have to wait. I will post the recipe too. So good!!!

11. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

For some reason I just knew they were going to be "So Good!!!" and now knowing Mom is making 'em, no doubt over the top! Looking forward to 'em.

12. dirtsailor2003

These meat pies are a family tradition dating back " to the old world" as the story goes. I stopped by my moms house today and she was grinding the meat! Has to be fresh!

13. Very exciting!!!!!!! Merry Christmas Eve!!!!!!!!! Cheers! - Leah

14. dirtsailor2003

So since I was a day behind schedule on the turkey. I wont be able to do the air dry that I normally do, so I just saw this crazy idea:

That's right! Blow dry with a hair dryer right before going on the smoker! More on this later when its time to try!

15. FANTASTIC!!!!!!!! I think I'm the only woman on earth who doesn't blow dry her hair; but your photo and idea is priceless! ERGO: Maybe I need to procure a blow dryer! Love it!!! Cheers! - Leah

16. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great looking meal and I love the hair dryer idea!

Disco

17. little smokey

little smokey Smoking Fanatic

I have in-laws that don't love flavor also, father in-law thinks pepper is spicy so he don't use it.  he asked my wife what makes her mashed potatoes so good and she responded "Try using salt and pepper".

18. dirtsailor2003

Turkey must have been good! The hair dryer worked great. UDS ran at 350* and the bird was done in just under 2 hours. Pork loin took about 1 1/2 hours in the Mini-WSM.

19. Holy Wow! It looks terrific! Cheers! - Leah

20. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Awesome looking food, Case