OH So Excited

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You'll be bored with it. Total lack of excitement. It reads the temperature accurately every time. You'll miss the drama of dead batteries, bad readings, error codes and trying to remember how many degrees you have to add to the reading to get the actual temp.

Reactions: rpcookin
You'll be bored with it. Total lack of excitement. It reads the temperature accurately every time. You'll miss the drama of dead batteries, bad readings, error codes and trying to remember how many degrees you have to add to the reading to get the actual temp.
Thanks bum you are right maybe I should send it back, DANG IT!!! 

DS

in all seriousness I didn't think a Thermapen would make that much difference in my life. I already had a maverick (which also made a huge difference in my life) but I needed an instant read for a class. I considered something in the $15-$20 range, but figured if I was going to do it I might as well do it right and only once. Well it did make a huge difference. Unlike the Maverick, the Thermapen gives me a balls on accurate reading in seconds anywhere in the meat. So I not only know what the temp is but HOW its getting there. If the outside is close to the target but the inside is 50 degrees off, I know I may wanna drop the heat. If one side of a loaf of bread is hotter than the other I know I need to rotate. As I've said, I use it for candy making, coffee brewing, all sorts of crazy things. Congrats on your new toy!! the only downside is it's made me a tad more OCD about getting things perfect.

I just tried in in a ice bath and dead on!!! Cause you know I had to bring it to work and show it off. LOL I will have to try the boiling water tonight. Even this was a open box sell. I can not see anything wrong with it as of right now, no scrapes, marks or anything to me it looks brand new. Happy so far. 

A thermometer that is dead on is a happy smoker

DS

You'll wonder how you ever lived without it. Like Mdboatbum said, I use my instant read for just about everything I make. Eliminates any guess work.

in all seriousness I didn't think a Thermapen would make that much difference in my life. I already had a maverick (which also made a huge difference in my life) but I needed an instant read for a class. I considered something in the $15-$20 range, but figured if I was going to do it I might as well do it right and only once. Well it did make a huge difference. Unlike the Maverick, the Thermapen gives me a balls on accurate reading in seconds anywhere in the meat. So I not only know what the temp is but HOW its getting there. If the outside is close to the target but the inside is 50 degrees off, I know I may wanna drop the heat. If one side of a loaf of bread is hotter than the other I know I need to rotate. As I've said, I use it for candy making, coffee brewing, all sorts of crazy things. Congrats on your new toy!! the only downside is it's made me a tad more OCD about getting things perfect.
Yes, I think it will make a huge difference, I also have the mav and a smaller version of the therma pen mini, which I liked it, was not as accurate, and took 3-4second readings (and had a 4*Diff.).

I can't wait!!, I know I can't use it for the weekend so maybe I will have to do something different for dinner. ----- STEAK ON THE BBQer 

DS

You'll wonder how you ever lived without it. Like Mdboatbum said, I use my instant read for just about everything I make. Eliminates any guess work.
Yep - Thanks Chew 
yahoo.gif

You're welcome! Another toy I can't seem to live without in the kitchen is an infrared thermometer. So many uses.

Like this.

I wonder if that would work to see how hot my wife is when she sees this new toy,,,,,,,but honey it's for food safety and the kids safety, don't want them to get sick right LOL 

DS

I wonder if that would work to see how hot my wife is when she sees this new toy,,,,,,,but honey it's for food safety and the kids safety, don't want them to get sick right LOL 

DS
Hey, that food safety excuse might work. There are some relatively inexpensive units out there that are pretty accurate. I use mine to check oven temps, cooking temps, etc. Haven't tried it on the wife when she's mad yet. Probably best not to.
hit.gif

Last edited:
one of the best toys I ever bought... even got the wife using it in the kitchen (was hard to break her of the going by time habit)... things don't come out dried out anymore from the oven... she just used it tonight on chicken breast... I mainly bought it for snack sticks and sausage... steaks come out PERFECT now ...

Last edited:
I have an infrared pretty handy   

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky