Novice needs help!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a bit of info that may help you out as well. My wife is diabetic as well, I also thought that my spritz was going to have to change. I use 8 oz 100% apple juice, 6 oz Jack Daniels, 4 oz water, and 2 oz cider vinegar. After discussing this with her DR and the dietitian they concluded that the amount of sugars/ carbs you would get from this was very minimal, and it would be OK for her. This was there reasoning. The apple juice is 100% juice no added sweeteners so the only sugar in it is natural 4 oz of apple juice is 1 serving. The alcohol in the Jack Daniels will evaporate so the sugars/ carbs there are very little. there is no sugars/ carbs in the water or vinegar. I have been smoking PP, ribs, brisket, and various other items using this spritz. As long as she doesn't over eat it or add bottled BBQ sauce, her blood sugars do not rise more then normal. Her A1c levels have been good so far so we see no need to change any thing. The DR and dietitian did recommend she not eat allot of fatty foods, but as long as she eats in moderation all is good. 

EDIT;

BTW it appears you have TBS coming from your smoker, looks good to me

Last edited:
Looks like you have an old braunfel offset smoker...... Good smokers.. I have one and modded it to a reverse flow   http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110134/braunfel-reverse-flow-modification

What fuel source are you using..... I normally get a chimney full of chatcoal lit and add it to the firebox, then add a unlit lump over the top then I add 1 soaked wood chunck every .5 to .75 hrs down into the coals. I would get about 2.5 hrs of good cooking temps. Since I did the reverse flow It takes it a while to heat up and get the ideal temp but it stays there for a long time.... I dont get those quick drops...... I Just feed the firebox a little and she keeps chuggin along

Good luck with the shoulder

Joe

I don't have a chimney for coals. I just recently got serious about smoking. I started with loose charcoal, and I'm smoking with a 60/40 blend of hickory and mesquite. It's staying relatively consistent. But I'm really tired, and I wish I were finished already!!! :)

I don't have a chimney for coals. I just recently got serious about smoking. I started with loose charcoal, and I'm smoking with a 60/40 blend of hickory and mesquite. It's staying relatively consistent. But I'm really tired, and I wish I were finished already!!! :)

Don't forget,  if you have to make a decision between leaving a smoker un attended for a "brief nap" or putting the meat in an oven, choose the oven.  To many posts from people that took a nap, ended up ignoring the alarm and are needing to know if the meat is still safe after the fire went out who knows when.

Put it in the oven, have a safe meal with your family and just start a bit earlier next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky