Not enough smoke from MES 30" upright. Maybe the insulation is too good?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woozle

Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
I recently purchased a Masterbilt electric smoker and while it gets hot enough, something I can't say about my flower pot smoker, it doesn't seem to produce much smoke.  There are fresh wood chips in the chip pan and the smoker is at 234 degrees F, but smoke is minimal.

What I think is happening is the smoker gets up to temperature and, being pretty well insulated, the heating element then shuts down.  Thus, no smoke.  I've considering whether to drill some holes in the top and possibly bottom to increase airflow, but I thought I would check in with the forum first.    I cannot be the only person to have this issue.

Are you soaking your chips? Try using only dry chips. And make sure the top vent is wide open.

I have a soup can with both ends cut out over my vent, to create more draw. Works fine.

Last edited:
The chips in there right now are straight out of the bag, bone dry.  Now, there some charcoaled chips in there that I took out and they instantly started to smoke, which makes me think there is an air flow issue.  This model only has one small back vent and no lower vents, so what smoke there is mostly comes out around the door seal. I just opened the door the barest crack, we will see if that helps.

Ah, I see. I have the old, black door model. And from what I hear about the newer ones, I'm glad I do.

Depending on the model there were chip tray issues with some masterbuilt 30's and 40's. But the new generation has not had smoke issues. Are you sure you have the tray slid in correctly. The bottom should be right above the element.

Get yourself a pellet smoker from Todd. That's what I use in mine.

I am smoking a pork loin today. There is very little wind, so I leave the chip loader door open about 1 1/2 inches. 2ND gen. Hope this helps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky