Northern Virginia Novice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bpscg

Original poster
Married a Texas woman a few years ago, so our two or three yearly visits to Texas have taught me some of the pleasures of smoked meat. Tried smoking on the gas grill and got inconsistent results, no matter how carefully I tended the fires, so I got myself an Old Smokey electric last week after reading dozens of owner reviews that almost unanimously put it head and shoulders above the electric water smokers.

My first (so far) venture into the fray, after seasoning the smoker, was a rack of spareribs. I rubbed it down with a recipe for what was allegedly a "Kansas City rub" and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. There wasn't any recipe for ribs in the little recipe book that came with it, so I simply followed the rule of thumb for the other recipes in the book that said to smoke it for about 20 minutes a pound. It was a cold day, so I figured it would probably take longer as a result, and I set the rheostat up to the high position. I figured it would probably take 1-1/2 - 2 hours.

I looked in on it at the one-hour mark, and there it was, all done! I didn't have to stick a thermometer in it - you could tell just by looking at it. I was afraid it was overdone.

Brought it in the house and sliced it up. The rub worked very well, even though it had been advertised as a beef rub, and the pork was pretty good - not as smoky as I would have liked, and not as tender as I expected, but very juicy and flavorful. I was quite pleased, seeing as how it was a first effort. Mrs. BPSCG liked it, and she's had a lot more smoked spareribs in her life than I have.

Now I have to get a thermometer to stick through the top, so I know when I'm getting over 250.

Welcome to the SMF, where friendly folks gather. Looking forward to your smokin' stories and Q View too!

BPSCG,
I'm a little concerned. I've never been able to do ribs in an hour. As a matter of fact, a lot of us use the "3-2-1" method for smoking ribs. That is three hours in the smoker at about 225* then foil them for two hours at the same temp and then unfoil them and do one hour to firm them up a bit. Of course, all these times are approximations, but they are a long ways (5-6 hours) from your one hour total. Also, did you "peel" the ribs or pull the fine tissue from the bone side of the ribs off?
Just a suggestion, why not take Jeff's 5 day ecourse. It's free and I think you will probably enjoy it. Welcome to the SMF and good luck!

Welcome to SMF! The folks here are ready and willing to share their experience with those of us who are new to smoking, so don't be shy about asking whatever questions you have.

Welcome to SMF! Yeah the thremo is a must-have. A dual input is nice for monitoring meat and smoker temps. You'll appreciate that when ya do the bigger hunks like butts and briskets...which you soon will be doing :{) Enjoy!

Also, look into the 3-2-1 method on the left side in the box on the main page

I know; I was pretty surprised at how fast they cooked. I'm thinking there might have been a couple of factors at work:
  • As I said, it was a cold day (by northern Virginia standards, anyway - I'm heading to northern Montana this weekend for a week of skiing - they know how to make cold there...), and I turned the temp up on the Old Smokey all the way.
  • What they say about the Old Smokey being airtight is true. After I got done assembling it, but without the grills and drip pan and power cable attached, I tried a little experiment. I pushed the lid down on it and then gently pulled up on the lid handle. I was able to lift the entire smoker by the lid handle. In other words, the thing really seals tightly. As such, it probably allowed no heat to escape at all. When I took the lid off during the smoking, it let out a huge blast of hot air and vapor. So maybe there was something of a pressure-cooker effect going on.
Anyway, I'm going to try again after I get home from Montana. We have friends coming over for the Super Bowl...

The membrane? No. I tried, but the stupid thing kept tearing off. Have to work on that, I guess. Or switch to beef...

Thanks - and thanks to everyone who's stopped by here to say hi!

welcome aboard BPSCG.

Sound like you got the convection effect which will cook food faster. But slow and low is the way to go. I looked up you smoker on the net an IMHO a vent in the lid would be in order. My .02 for what it is worth.

Welcome to the forum BPSCG.
smile.gif

Hi all jim here. New to the site so bare with me. I live in upstate NY and the temp ranges from 10- 40 degrees. Im am trying to cold smoke a ham after i cured it. Been doing so for a couple of days now about 4 to 6 hrs of smoke per day. What temp if any is to cold for cold smoking and do you have to cook the ham after cold smoking it. How many days should i smoke the ham for. Any help would great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky