Newbie with wood questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chugalope

Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
I am planning on smoking some sausage in the next few days. The mixture is half venison half pork. I have used alder and cherry before. I preferred alder but I might have smoked with the cherry too long. Does any one have suggestions for wood. I was thinking apple. maybe mixing apple and cherry. Any suggestions are welcome. Some of the sausage will have jalapeño in it. Thanks.

Ill beat everyone else to the punch... Stop in Roll Call and give us some back ground ... now to answer your question, I use a mix of Apple and Hickory on my sausage and love it... Good to have ya here.

ya what fireguy says about roll call-the bible says no fruit wood on sausage-hickory is best-but just my many links worth-or is that 2 cents?

I am using a mixture of ash, apple and hickory right now. Usually I just use ash.

Andy.

For sausage I have used hickory for years and a little mesquite, but lately have really been enjoying apple. I need to start trying others also; I have pecan, cherry, alder and maple. Need to find some good oak.....

I smoked a fatty with cherry this weekend and it was killer!

I have apple, pear and mapple just give it to June to use.

Welcome!!

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky