Newbie of 30 years comes out of Lurk

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

creative rock

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Howdy Hi to all the SMF Family… I am estatic to have found this forum. I am newbie to smoking (30 years now) and never would consider myself an expert on this or any subject. As a newbie we are always willing, and learning, trying to perfect our craft… As an expert, we THINK we know it all, and can get stuck in to the same ole routine that won’t let us try new things!!! (one of life’s hard learned lessons
icon_wink.gif
).

I was first exposed to smoking and home made jerky as a kid when my dad, a survialist by nature experimented with homemade jerky done in the oven…. Tasted good, BUT lacked a few things, but the most important ingredient IMHO… SMOKE!!! Sorry dad (RIP), but I learned from you to say it as it is! :
smile.gif

My next exposure to real jerky… smoked, was while doing fire inspections in 1978 while stationed at Minot AFB. It was venison jerky, had a great smoked taste to it, but way to much like biting into smoked rock salt BUT I did see potential with the smoke flavor. Within two weeks I had bought my first smoker, and from there the addiction started and continues to this day, even though the lil chief died years ago and the correct element seemed impossible to obtain. I have learned there are other pieces of equipment out there that can give you the smoke you are after!
Since the lil chief died… I have been using a New Braunsfel Smoker… separate fire pit…. Love it for long attended smokes (and all nighters)!!! I bought at Sam’s club the end of last summer a Masterbuilt Electric Smokehouse at their clearance price of 199.99. Living here in the mountains of northern California… had to wait for the weather to change before setting up outside on the deck. Last week made some of my jerky I have been long craving, and last night smoked a Tri-Tip then the rest of the jerky from last weekend (froze the remainder till tis weekend) and as I type this… I am smoking 8 more pounds of jerky. This coming weekend will be the first of many camping trips this summer for fishing, so want to be prepared
icon_wink.gif
Have to have the jerked meat to go with the liquid bread, just incase the fishing isn’t happening (never has let me down yet). With three of us going… I am sure out of this will come some smoked lakers (trout- rainbow or german browns).

I look forward to learning from you all, as I hope I am able to contribute, considering my NEWBIE status!
I do want to add more equipment to my inventory, a propane smoker for camping, if I can find a good one with temp controls, and ultimately a real smoke house with separate firepit ( I do have most the the materials to build).
I have a couple of other passions in life, other than food, I am a moderator in a forum similar to this, as far as structure goes, as this is the best smoking forum… I moderate on a the best sand carving forum, here as there, we are addicted, and of course love photos!!! So will end my rambling with a qview.....Tri-Tip below... temp when pulled 145 f, mixture of mesquite/hickory (although oak is my fav for tri's)>>> seasoned well with lil salt, special pepper combo, some granulated garlic, and a tad of cayenne.
As a little teaser, maybe tomorrow a qview of the MES filled with jerky?

My thanks go out to Jeff, and all the admin, mod's and members that make this place a great learning experience,
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

thanks for having me here,
Matt
aka Rocky

0cf92ad0_vbattach17956.jpg

Rocky - it sounds like you're going to be a treat to have around the SMF, glad you joined us! It's very interesting to read your bio and your line of smokers.

Look forward to reading your future posts, and thanks for the q-vue!

welcome ROCKY as a newbie for life in the world of smoke i'd say it's alway's easier to learn with guided hands....sounds like you have much to share and cant wait to see it all in the qview . this is an awesome place to care-and-share recipe's failure's and just plain ole goodness of what smoke can bring to just about anyfood possible !!! i'd been smokin years as well before i fell into this rut , and that being said i could not be a happier stuck anyplace else.....great people great food and great pasion for the smoke . i'm sure you will fit right in
icon_smile.gif

Welcome to the smf Rocky. Thanks for the great intro and the Q-view also. Lots of nice folks on here and a lot of good information.

Happy Smokin

Steve

welcome! im lookin forward to learning from your experiences. this is an awesome site for getting and giving info on this addiction we all seem to have!

Welcome, Matt. Great intro. Looks forward to learning from you. This is a great place to share info.

Welcome Rocky,very pretty country up there-spent 10 years in the area-fishing the American & panning the Hayfork.Glad you came outta lurk and joined in.

Always glad to see someone from NorCal join the SMF. You're in a part of the state that still has some old time charm, the TBS goes great with the open outdoors.

Thanks all for the warm welcome, there is a lot of info on this forum... Why do I feel so much information, so little time?
icon_smile.gif

Been such nice weather here in the sierra's i feel like i have to be doing something other than working... So it has been camping, fishing (need to learn how to go "Catching") and best of all... SMOKIN!!!
This weekend consists of two racks of spares, two Tri-Tips (one whole, one steaked), and 4 chuck eye steaks... Since it is just me here usually, I am mastering the "Creative Rock's smokin it now, impress the ladies later method". Nothing beats the reactions a man gets that knows how to put on a delectable feed!
icon_cool.gif
In all seriousness, I am so happy to have found this forum, although not new to smokin, always willing to learn and strive for the next best smoke and maintain the 30 year Newbie Status ;)
Thanks again for the warm welcome...
Matt
aka Rocky

Nice to have you with us, Rocky.

Enjoy the best site on the web!

Hey Rocky welcome to the forum. Like you said every dog can learn a new trick. This site is definitely the place to learn a new trick or twist to something you already smoke. Good luck.

This Old Dog has learned a few new TRICKS... Thanks to all the members here for their postings. I have had some BETTER Que since finding Ya'll (in his best southern Calif accent) and do know more are on the way!
Thanks again
Matt
aka Rocky

Heya Matt, welcome! That's one of the great things about smoking...there's always something new to try or to learn. Like many things no one can have it all down pat, because new stuff comes up soo often.

Enjoy your time and looking forward to sharing your knowledge and experiences!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky