Newbie looking for help from veterans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lownslow

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Hi to all you pros out there,
So here is the deal. We are having a little BBQ on Sunday (noon) and I have 2 6# butts to smoke. If I had my way I would just smoke on Sat, pull and reheat on Sun. Problem is I have to go to a party on Sat from about noon to 3-4.

The other problem (or not) is that this is only my second smoke
icon_rolleyes.gif
. First one went well and is posted here
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=17792

I am tempted to get it going on Sat morn and leave my gas smoker unattended while I am away
here is the smoker I have:
http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1295

It seemed to hold nice and steady with out much trouble but I don't know it all that well yet. Also would the taste suffer with out me restocking the chips for a few hours?

am I crazy for thinking about doing this? I suppose I could also just put it in the oven while I'm gone.

So Pros, what do you think?

Smoke em Sat. after the party. Cook em to 160ish, foil and put em in that other gas appliance you have in the house with a thermo and go to bed.
When they hit 195ish, put em in a cooler with a couple towels and they'll still be hot at 11:00 for lunch!
biggrin.gif

I personally wouldn't leave anything cooking unattended (maybe with the exception of a crock pot)...
And as you mention, you have no way of restocking your wood. That's no fun.

Man up and pull the all-nighter when you get home from your party tomorrow! :-)

I can't tell you how much I wish my remote thermometers were here (still in the mail). All I have at the moment is my pocket instant read.

From other threads it looked it looked like about 1.5 hrs per pound making it about a 9 hour cook give or take. This sound about right?

Walmart has a remote w/ alarm for about $15. I have several and they seem to work well. Go buy one, start the cook after your party, and let it cook at night. Set the alarm for 190* to wake you up.

Put a bigger chip pan in, I use a 9x9 cake pan that I put a mix a chips an chunks in. Cover with foil an poke bout 5 holes in. This heps prevent flare ups.

I wouldn't leave the smoker unattended, even though it is gas an very reliable an safe, yall could have a fire. I know, I've been there. Had I not heard the thermo I use fer the box temp go off (Indicatin I had hit 275*) I would not have known until the problem was much larger.

I would do them taday, they reheat really well an momma say's they are even better after bein reheated. The flavours tend ta blend a bit after sittin overnight. Yall can just add a bit more finishin sauce or apple juice, ifin the apple juice is a bit strong ya can cut it with some water.

Good luck an may the smoke gods smile upon yer cooker!

I would not worry about not being able to stock wood for an hour or two. Won't hurt a thing. Most times new folks "over-wood" anyway, truth be told.

So my wife didn't end up going to the party so I had her keep an eye on the smoker while I was gone.

The smoke is still going. Seems to have leveled off at 145 but after reading about this I know to avoid doing anything but wait. Yet another good tip from SMF

Did a batch of beans with smoked sausage, bacon, katchup, brown sugar, garlic, onions, pineapple juice, and spices. That got pulled out a couple hours ago. That was the first batch of beans and it will definitely not be the last. Just sooo good.

Q-view to follow when the butts come out. Bark is looking nice so far, brushed a few times with pineapple juice since I don't have a spray bottle at the moment.

Left my father in-law alone with a bowl of the smoked almonds from the last smoke. Came back minutes later and they were gone. Must have dislocated his jaw and pushed them all down with a shovel.

So my 2 Butts just came out of the oven. Internal finally hit 190. Is it safe to keep them in a cooler until morn (7-8 hrs) before I pull them?

have heard that wrap in foil then wrapin several towels and then put in cooler. supposedly next am still hot enuff to pull easily.

hmmm. you think I should rest them then pull before sleep then huh?

so how it turn out?? u pull las nite or this am??? if u got pix be nice to see, we qview addictted here. cyber food!!!

Sorry for being slow on the wrap up. I got scared of "pork mush" so I pulled it at midnight and it shreaded beautifully.

You will have to forgive me for not getting a pic of the butts before I pulled them or after but I'm new at this and have to get my priorities straight, Q-view before you grab the forks!

The butt was great. I had it all pulled and then fried in a castiron pan for lunch. Got some nice crispy bits from the fry and put it into tortillas, little spicy bbq sauce of my own and some salsa from cooks illustrated (mangos, beans, cilantro, lime and pineapple juice, green onion, fresh corn, cumin, s&p, jalapeno). People were just raving about it.

I can only hope the pic of the beans saves me from the blacklist

whats going on, having trouble getting the right pic
here are the beans (i hope)

Looks great.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I had a lot of trouble with PhotoBucket crap, and now use this: http://postimage.org/ It is soooo much easier.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky