Newbie from Virginia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mvallen

Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
Richmond, VA
Hey!

My name is Mike and I am brand new to smoking, I have never smoked anything ever but I am looking forward to getting started.

My room mate and I have been wanting to purchase a smoker and last night we saw a great deal and we hopped on it and are hopefully ready to go.

By chance we went to Lowes here in Richmond to look at possible smokers we wanted to buy for ourselves as a christmas present. There were two models that fit our requirements, the standard Brinkmann Grill/Smoker and LP Box smoker by Perflect Flame, which I think is Lowe's brand.

I have been wondering around Lowes on my lunch breaks drooling over the smokers. The Brinkmann ran about $70 and the LP Box smoker ran $160. I knew that plenty of people have got perfect results from the Basic Brinkmann but I also did not want to spend the $160 for my first smoker.

Well by chance last night my room mate wanted to go to Lowes and check out the smokers. Well Lowe's marked down the LP Box smoker to $90 so after doing a happy dance we through the last one in the cart and couldn't wait to get home. We also purchased some Mesquite and Apple wood to get started along with some tools.

Well we got home and assembled the smoker and can't wait until this weekend when we should have some time to get going!

I am hoping to do some reading on here to get some tips!

Hello mike and welcome to the SMF. Congrats on the new smoker, we'll be looking forward to your next smoke. It's all good my friend.

Welcome and congrats on that new smoker. Get it seasoned and you'll be ready to roll. Glad you joined us here. Lots of great information from people who really want you to succeed.

Don't fear, you'll be churrning out some delicious smoked goodness in no time.

Welcome aboard. I relatively new here also and have found the depth of help is amazing. Remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Welcome to SMF. Check out the 5 day ecourse. Lots of great information there.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034

Hey congratulations on your new smoker and welcome to the greatest forum on the planet! Come on in, the water is FI-I-I-NE!

Hey Mike,
Welcome to the forum, I don't post often, but the wealth of knowledge here has gotten me to a quality level of applying smoke to meat. I'm from Richmond as well, was it the Lowe's on Broad street near Allen? I go there all the time and can't believe I missed that deal. Also if Lowe's is out of wood or charcoal, just go down the street to Pleasant's, doesn't matter what time of year it is, they always have what you need.
Anywho, good luck with your first smoke.
Chris (opposite Swan Lake, in Byrd Park.)

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I do have a quick question before I get started tonight with a late night smoke.

In the wood chip box, do I need to put lump charcoal in there as well or do you just put the wood chips in it?

I think I have reac about people doing it both ways but which way do yall reccomend?

And to answer Chrispea:

I got it from the Lowes at the new White Oak Village, nice brand new Lowes. This was the least one at this store but I would assume most of the other Lowes have the same deal in the area because it was on clearance. I will definitely check out Pleasants as well which is just down the road on Laburnum.

Thanks!

First off welcome Mike to SMF. You'll like it here cause there are abunch of good folks here that would just love to help you out with just about anything to do with smoking. We really like to have newbies here because they can bring in a new propective to how things are done. There's nothing like a new set of eyes to give and new way to make things that little differant to make things alittle better. So I hope you know about the Qview here.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=58920
Here's a link to photobucket it's free and easy to download pictures. Then if your really new to smoking Look up the E-course.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...play.php?f=127
It's also free and it will give you the basics of smoking. So after all of that you just need to go grab something to smoke and if you have any question just post them here and we will answer it quickly so you don't have any mishaps with your smoke.
Welcome To Your New Addiction

Welcome to the forum, some great folks here with good advise. Glad you got a good deal on that smoker. I will have to check the Brook rd. store see if they have any.
Happy smoking, Alan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky