Newbie from Central Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

barneypoo69

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Kyle, Republic of Texas
Howdy my friends ! My name is Jerry & I got my 1st smoker for Christmas, a Char-Griller Super Pro & a side fire box. I have a gas grille I've had many years & will still use for grilling.
I must say "knocking out" that football hole was a pain in the rear. I'm doing some mods (have the flex hose on the vent already). Ordered the shaker basket from Lowes (the guy that was going to make me one out of expanded metal wanted more than what I paid for the CG & FB !).
I plan on smoking a brisket (wife wants one) & a couple beer can chickens (done those on my modded gas grill)....for a party my wife is having for New Years.
Gotta season it first.
By the way, my wife is from the Philippines.
I've been lurking this forum alot lately & looking at others. But this group here is my kind-of-folks.
Been grilling most of my life.....but now I want to learn how to BBQ/Smoke meat, cheese, veggies, fruit, etc. so maybe someday I can say "I know enough about BBQing to get me in trouble"
Glad to be here.
Update 12-29-09: For my heat baffel, I put the grates from the FB down in the bottom of the main unit & laid the curved lower metal pan upside down on the grates. A little foil & covers heat inlet wonderful.

PS: Yes I'm taking the 5 day ecourse.......& bought the recipes (Jeffs rub & sauce)

Hey Jerry! Welcome to SMF. Were all very glad you joined us here as we can't wait to see what your new gift pumps out for Q.

Happy smoking to you!

Boy, Jerry you sure aren't wasting any time! I'm guessing that maybe you lurked here for a bit learning what you need to know and now that you got your smoker, you're jumping in with both feet.

Looking forward to your first smoke and your first que view!!

Enjoy!

Thanks guys. As soon as I get the basket etc, I'll take some pics of my new smoker. No one has any thermo's to mount on the lid (Lowes/Home Depot/etc) around here & the place I need to check is closed for the Holidays until Jan 4th...but that won't stop me from doing some smoking meat.

Welcome to SMF! Lots of good info and great folks on here!

Too bad about the avatar...

GIGEM.jpg

Greetings and Welcome to the 'community'.

Enjoy your stay at
SMF
Settle in and have fun.
Any questions, plenty of experts... and make yourself at home.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

How to post Qview to Forum:

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

For Step By Step Instructions On Posting Qview Check Out This Tutorial

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=82034

First off welcome Jerry to SMF. You'll like it here cause there are abunch of good folks here that would just love to help you out with just about anything to do with smoking. We really like to have newbies here because they can bring in a new propective to how things are done. There's nothing like a new set of eyes to give and new way to make things that little differant to make things alittle better. So I hope you know about the Qview here.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=58920
Here's a link to photobucket it's free and easy to download pictures. Then if your really new to smoking Look up the E-course.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...play.php?f=127
It's also free and it will give you the basics of smoking. So after all of that you just need to go grab something to smoke and if you have any question just post them here and we will answer it quickly so you don't have any mishaps with your smoke.
Welcome To Your New Addiction

Hello Jerry, and welcome to the SMF. Sounds like you're good to go. It's all good my friend.

Thanks again for the "Welcomes". I just ordered a Maverick wireless dig thermo. Also ordered a shaker basket from Lowes.
I can't seem to find the high temp fiberglass rope gasket kits (3/8 & comes with the cement----Lowes ?) .........has anyone used it & a link to it...the back of my CG has a 3/8 gap & I'll deal with the front & sides later...plan on doing some seasoning tomorrow (raining & cold today). I'll post some pic's of my "poor man mods" to my CG Super Pro w/FB when I get the basket.

Welcome to the family from a fellow Texan, glad you found us

Those of us in Aggieland are gonna let that TU Logo slide since you are a fellow smoker
biggrin.gif

You will find a ton of good information floating around in here

Don't be afraid to ask questions and remember, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask.

Check out the 5 day ecourse it is definitely worth it

Good Luck And Happy Smokes

Thanks.......please note Aggie...I live in Kyle, Texas (City is named after the same guy your Aggie Football Field is named after)...all is cool...
I'm waiting for the 5th day ecourse .....
I did find the 3/8" fiberglass seal kit from Lowes:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...4-85334-GA0187
but for some reason you can't "add to cart"..called Lowes & someone will call me in 24hrs and see if they can get from manufacture.
I'm ready for Spring Time.........cold beer, meat in the smoker, tomatoes/okra/peppers/trees etc all growing.........

Thanks Aggie neighbor........I just posted a "thank you" and a link to Lowes about the 3/8 high temp seal kit....it needs a Mod to check it out 1st (I'm a Mod on a HT forum......I know about this...we hate spammers).
I have another post about brisket also waiting on a Mod to check-out 1st in another section (trimming the point off if I remember right).
Again, can't wait for Spring: tomatoes/okra/peppers/trees/etc growing , cold beer & the smell of smoke from my 1st smoker........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky