Newbie first smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moresmoke2

Original poster
Mar 24, 2016
Gurnee Illinois
Hey guys. Just sharing my first smoke on my Bradley. Doing a couple of chickens for Easter fest. Last night I soaked in a brine and now have them drying in the fridge until tomorrow. Later tonight I am going to apply a dry rub.

Brine:
1/2C Kosher Salt
2T Paprika
2T Gran. Garlic
2T Gran. Onion
2T Dry Thyme
2T Black Pepper
1C ACV
1-11/2Gal Cold Water to cover Chix

Rub:
3 tsp. kosher salt
3 tsp. smoked paprika
3 tsp. black pepper
3 tsp. red pepper flakes
3 tsp. garlic salt
3 tsp. dried thyme
3 tsp. dried oregano
3 tsp. onion powder
3 tsp. ground coffee
1 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

a44776eee8685b80966ff0c8a3987939.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In that pic, they look a little under done. I'm looking forward to the next pics.

Great start. Good luck and keep. On smokin', Joe

When should I apply the rub? I've seen people dry rub them overnight and some say to wait until you set them out to room temp while the smoker is preheating. My concern is the salt.. is 3 tsp enough to worry overnight or should I make the rub without salt for tonight and a partial batch with salt for the morning?

I usually rub my cooks while the fire is coming up to temp. If you choose to rub the night before, I would not be overly concerned about the salt. The salt will go into the meat no matter when you rub. It won't get any stronger overnight. I always use a binder for a rub. It helps to liquefy the rub and stick it to the meat. I use mustard for pork, EVOO for beef and butter for poultry. Try to loosen the skin over the breast area and apply a slather of soft butter with some rub under the skin. That will help it to get into the breast without having to penetrate the skin.

If you have not looked at the spatchcock site, give it a look. That is a great way to smoke a bird. It gets done quicker and more evenly. Most folks now use this method. I smoked two chickens, spatchcocked, today. I smoked with oak and a few apple chunks for flavor. My temp was between 270 and 300* and the chickens were done in just over two hours, 168 in the breast and 177* in the thigh.

Good luck with your birds, Joe :grilling_smilie:

Thanks Joe, it is much appreciated. I will look at the spatchcock site. I will post some pics tomorrow before and after, so here's to a successful smoke!

Birds went on this morning. Didn't apply the rub overnight, decided to just out it on this morning and I did spatchcock both of them, so we'll see how they turn out. Here they are before going in...
5f6dd1781a83b49d09e83627f135d9a4.jpg

They look really good. I smoked my two yesterday at 275-300* and they were 168* in the breast and 177* in the thigh.

Good luck with yours and be sure to post some finished pics, Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky