Newbie doing spares

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

von

Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Well...here goes nothing.

A couple of questions while they are on (it's been 2.5 hours or so).

Do I need to flip them at all? Doesn't seem like it, since the temperature stays steady and the heat isn't direct, but thought I'd ask.

I also see different opinions on line--bone side down or meat side down? Does it matter? Do I flip them when I wrap them with foil?

Thanks....

ribs.jpg

Thanks. Hopefully I get a good picture when they're done, and can post it on here with positive results!

Well, they're foiled now for two hours...it's a bit chilly and pretty windy, so my temperature keeps dipping a bit lower than I'd like, but I'm making adjustments and learning as I go.

Do you guys recommend a sauce for the last half hour, or serve with sauce on the side for dipping if wanted? They're in a mustard rub, if that helps.

looks good so far. Bone side down with no flipping here.

You can sauce them the last 1/2 or so or you can just serve the sauce on the side. I also to mine bone side done

Here they are done:
ribs2o.jpg

They weren't the best ribs I've ever had, but were also far from the worst. It was a good starting point, and I learned a lot as it went on...the next set will be even better!

No flipping, bone down but make sure you remove the membrane on the back of the rib before cooking. If not they can turn out tough! I sauce the last 30-45 mins! Good luck

I couldn't tell from your picture... but it looked like you didn't have much rub on them at the start? That will make a huge differance in overall taste and enjoyment.

I usually use about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of rub on each rack of ribs.... really rub it into the meat and basically give them as much rub as they will hold. That will also help give you a nice bark.

Other than that I agree with the others bone side down.... and I usually just put sauce on the side. Less mess on my smoker and some people prefer the ribs without them since they get such a nice flavor from the rub.

Yeah, in retrospect I should have put more rub on them, although it was a lighter color and didn't take on much color as it cooked--it was thicker than it looked in the picture.

Thanks for the tip though. Maybe I'll have to try again next weekend?
icon_cool.gif

hey von. I just smoked some yesterday and for rub all I used was a little paprika just enough to darken the meat up a bit some granulated garlic then threw them on couple hours in I dusted them with brown sugar, then about an hour and a half from finish i started basting them with bbq sauce every 25-30 min. I found that really glazes them up and gives it a nice color as well. I put them bone side down as well and wrap in tin foil half way through until i start basting with the sauce. ok take it easy good job.

Like they say practice make perfect. That goes for ribs too. I always leave mine alone no flipping and some times I sauce but only at the end. Maybe about a half an hour out so the sauce can cook in their will be plenty messy. I personally don't sauce mine that I'm eating to me the smoker an wood gives the best flavor if you have to sauce them their your ribs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky