New Years Day Prime Rib...Dry Aged

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
Happy New Year Everyone...

Well I have made a Rib Roast every New Years day for years and as I have suggested to many of you, I dry age it for a week in my refrigerator. This year I ordered my Rib extra early and asked that it hang for 5 weeks before I have my Daughter's pick it up. Now I have seen Beef this old before and whether there was a mistake or some other problem, what I got was only aged 2-3 weeks which is SOP for this Butcher. It was pretty so I didn't complain, stuff happens. So the beef was wrapped in Cheese Cloth and into the refer for 6 days. Now in past years I would rub the beef with Montreal Steak Seasoning before I wrapped it but because I had so many of you ask if the meat would have to be trimmed, I left it plain to see exactly how dry it actually got. I only changed the cloth once because having already been dry aged there was not much moisture leaching out. Here's a pic out of the refrigerator just before it got rubbed and went into the Smoker...

b342aefd_013.jpg

I also had some Dino Bones, so I figured I would throw them in too. They finished later than the roast so I didn't get any final pics of those.

So I rubbed with the Montreal and in to the smoker at 225*F for some Low and Slow Hickory TBS. I placed a pan with Celery, Carots and Onions under the Roast to catch the drippings to make the JUS and have the fat to make Yorkshire Pudding.The roast has 4 bones and is right at 8 Pounds so at 225* I figured 30 minutes per pound to get to 110*F where I pull it and put the meat into a 500*F Oven to brown up an rise to the finished temp. At 4 hours 15 minutes the meat hit 110*F and it went onto the counter while the Oven heated. I then placed the Roast in and 25 minutes later the IT was 120*F and it sat tented in foil to rest 30 minutes or so while the sides were made. Besides the YPudding we made Baked Potatoes and Braised Fennel, Leeks, Carrots and Celery with Basil Butter. Things got pretty busy here and with 6 HUNGRY people I didn't get time to take pics of the full smoker and individual shots of the sides, Sorry! Here's a shot of the Roast out of the Oven all Brown with a Crispy Bark...

0c8820a1_125.jpg

The craziest thing was, I had pulled it at 120*F and usually expect Carryover to take it another 10* to a perfect 130*, Medium Rare, but to my HORROR the darn temp kept climing to 145*F and I was freaking out! I never had one do this before. It is still nice and Pink but a little more done than I like it, my wife was Thrilled because she likes her's Medium+. Next time I will just leave it in the smoker until it hits 125*F...Here is some Qview of the sliced meat...

ddb6b095_129.jpg

This meat had rested over 45 minutes and the Juices are STILL running like it was fresh out of the oven...

25a42245_138.jpg

And here is the Chef's Plate...

a4e35fa7_149.jpg

The meat was still Delicious, Fork Tender and enjoyed by all.

Now the Recipes...

Braised Leeks, Fennel, Carrots and Celery

1 stick of Butter

3 1inch thick Leeks, White and light Green part

1 Fennel Bulb, tops removed

4-5 ea Carrots

3-4 ribs Celery

1/3C White Wine

1/4C Basil Leaves

S & P

Cut all the vegetables into 3 inch by 1/4 inch Sticks.

Saute in the Butter just until they start to get Golden.

Season with S & P and add the Basil, stir to combine.

Deglaze with the Wine and cover the Pan.

Reduce the heat to low and Braise until the vegetables are tender.

Adjust seasoning and serve.

Serves 4-6

Yorkshire Pudding

2C Flour

2tsp Salt

2C Milk

4ea Eggs

2T Pan Drippings or Melted Butter

1/2C Pan Drippings, Fat Only!

Pre-heat Oven to 450*F

Place all but the 1/2C Drippings in a blender and blend on high until smooth allow to rest 1 Hour.

Add 1/2C Dripping to a 9X13 inch Pan and heat for 5 minutes.

Add the batter and Bake at 450*F for 15 minutes.

Reduce heat to 350*F, Rotate pan and Bake an additional 15-20 minutes until Puffy, Brown and Crispy.

Cut into squares and serve.

Can also be Baked in individual Muffin tins, add 1T Drippings to each cup and fill Half way with Batter. Bake as above...

Serves 6

Smokey Au Jus

1- Lg Onion,

4-5 Carrots,

3-4 Ribs Celery

3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,

THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,

1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)

1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want. 

While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus, drag quickly across to take off the last little bit of fat.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

Serve the sliced Beef Au Jus or thicken the Jus to make Gravy.

NOTE: If you are using this recipe with Brisket or a long smoke, additional Water will have to be added periodically to maintain the proper volume. Do not add more Broth as repeated addition and reduction will make the Au Jus too salty..

I hope you Enjoy these Recipes...JJ

Last edited:
Looks great, Chef!  I love dry aging my beef roasts and steaks.  I even dry age pork chops before flouring and skillet frying.

That is strange the temp shot up like that.  I don't rest mine in foil for fear of that. 

Still looks really tasty!  I am already starving.  I'm glad I am heading out to the greasy spoon for some country fried steak and gravy right now!

Thanks for all the recipes too.

Finally we get to see you put out a prime rib after all of the help you have been giving others for the past few weeks on theirs. Thanks for all the input. That plate looks beautiful.

Last edited:
Good lookin' roast JJ... the temp rise IS strange...  but I'd eat it... thanks for the recipes... Dave

Hey Jimmy great looking roast.  You forgot my invite

Tell the girls the cookies are almost gone  

That looks delish!!  Great job!!  Curious to try out the yorkshire puddings, I always have used muffin tins but yours look great!!
The YP comes out great, in a 9X13, with the edges being puffy and crisp and the center being more custard like. Not to everyones liking, the family prefers the Puffy popover style you get with the muffin cups...JJ

Finally we get to see you put out a prime rib after all of the help you have been giving others for the past few weeks on theirs. Thanks for all the input. That plate looks beautiful.
Tell me about it! I was losing my Smoke Cred' having only posted Recipes but none of my Smokes, I didn't have a camera of my own and had to wait until my daughter came home from college with her's...I'm always happy to help...JJ

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for your kind words...JJ

Voila,  ...excellent looking preparation and plate, you don't have to worry about losing your Smoking Cred's, ...the Q-views from all of us you have helped is the proof of them.

Thanks for the pudding recipe, I've always heard about it but never knew what it was or how to make it, the leeks........, that's kinda ify, but if you say they are good.......

Gene

Nice plate JJ.

Sure didn't see any sign that meat had the age on it that you ordered.

No clue on that carry over, never had one go that far.  I tent rather than wrap.

Good luck and good smoking

Very nice JJ, 

Sorry to hear about the 145º...............but as long as the wife's happy 
wife.gif

ROTF.gif

Thanks for the Y Pudding recipe.........................gotta give it a go  
beercheer.gif

Voila,  ...excellent looking preparation and plate, you don't have to worry about losing your Smoking Cred's, ...the Q-views from all of us you have helped is the proof of them.

Thanks for the pudding recipe, I've always heard about it but never knew what it was or how to make it, the leeks........, that's kinda ify, but if you say they are good.......

Gene
Thanks Gene, The Y Pudding is super easy and tasty...If you don't care for Leeks, the recipe works great with Onions. The previous time I made it the store had no leeks so I used Onions. This veg dish was adapted from a Fish en Papillote recipe...

Place the same Veggies, cut in Julienne, on a sheet of Heavy Duty Foil twice the length of your fish ,season the Veg, add your favorite Fish with Lemon and Basil stuffed in the Cavity. Add the Wine, S & P, and remaining Basil, dot with dollops of Butter. Fold the foil to form a tightly sealed Envelope around the fish and Bake in a 400*F Oven for 15 minutes for each inch thickness of fish or until the fish reaches 145*F. Really Good...JJ

Thanks Jimmy J,

The "poisson en papillote" recipe will give me major points with Mrs JPT, ...she will love that, if I can find some fresh blue parrot fish that will be Friday night's dinner.

Gene

Looks-Great.gif
, I'm with you I like my stakes RARE. My dad says all I do is lop the horns off wipe its a** and throw it on the grill. He likes Med rare as does my wife. I'm the oddball. 

Looks like another excellent Prime Rib JJ. :yahoo:

Wow, that looks great! I absolutely love Yorkshire pudding. My mom would make it all the time when I was a kid and it has remained one of my favorites since.  Your contributions here are huge and I can't wait to take advantage of this one! Prime Rib with Yorkshire Pudding will most certainly be my next big smoke! Thanks for posting the recipes!!   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky