New to the forum..Bacon Pics from previous cooks

Discussion in 'Bacon' started by carter86, Oct 9, 2015.

1. carter86

carter86 Newbie

hey guys, 

im new to the forum but wanted to share with you some Bacon i made previously before joining.

this bacon was cured with the High Mountain Bacon cure..it was my first attempt using this cure and it came out pretty good.

i currently have a 2.5lb slab in Pops Brine and another 2.5 piece in Bearcarvers Morton Tender dry Cure recipe.

looking forward to see how both of those will turn out and i will surely post pics once they are done curing. the belly in Pops Brine had been in the brine for 10 days but a small portion of it is 2 inches thick so im going to let it go until 14 days.

the belly in Bearcarvers dry cure using Mortons TC has been in the cure for 2 days but its only 1 inch thick so i will let it go 7 days.

i have always hot smoked my Bacon to 150 I, but i do want to give cold or warm smoking a try with these next bellies especially since i know the cure that im using has penetrated throughout the meat entirely.

thanks for having me and looking forward to gaining additional knowledge on curing and smoking Bacon.

thanks 

2. hank2000

hank2000 Smoking Fanatic

I have used pops brine and MTQ both are good. I like dry cure the best but that's just me. I also warm smoke at about 120 for 10 to 12 hours. You will be pleased with it no matter how you smoke it.

3. I also use dry cure an I am really warming up to this warm smoke, I work to keep the box at 120 and the bacon below 120. we love how it turns out.

Keep on Smokin,

Tom

4. hank2000

hank2000 Smoking Fanatic

I had to learn to warm smoke because down here in the south we get about 3 weeks a year that's it cool enough to cold smoke and it's one day at a time most of the time one day so can't do it so you learn to work around it. Lol

5. carter86

carter86 Newbie

Thanks guys.

I think I'll try warm smoking first before cold as well.