New to smoking...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeeater

Smoke Blower
Original poster
8) Hi everyone! Jim here, from Long Island, New York. I am new to smoking meat.

I saw a show last week on the Food Network about smoking meat and I was :shock: intrigued. Did a search and found this website right away and started reading - learning as much as I could as fast as I could.

:D Today, I ordered the Great Outdoors Deluxe Gas Smoker (Big Block, I think) through Amazon.com from the link right here on Smoking-Meat.com. I looked all over :( to try and buy one locally (I called stores over two hours away) without having to have it shipped, :cry: but no such luck - it's just not the season for it around here, :? I guess.

I am very :P excited, but I have to wait at least two weeks before it will arrive, as it is pre-ordered. In the meantime, I plan to start the e-course and pick up as many tips as I can. I fish alot, and I am looking forward to smoking fish, along with anything else that I can find.

Thank you in advance for all the info/advice/tips/help that you are going to give me!

Jimmy G.

Well, hello Jim :D

welcome to the SMF.

You picked out a favorit e of a lot of the folk here for your first smoker. Just work the e-course and post us some pics when your smoker gets there :D

Hi there Jimmy G, welcome to the SMF. Former Port Jefferson LI gal here. Youv'e found the best smoking forum on the web!! Read as much as you can, there is tons of great info to get you up and rolling along, if you can't find it just ask , great folks with lotsa know how. Have a great time with your new toy and let us know how it goes :D

Hey Jimmy, Welcome to the SMF. You'll learn alot here and we hope you post your smokin' experiences and pics.

Smokeeater,

Welcome aboard, not much more exciting than waiting for a new smoker.

When you get it try a butt or shoulder first it is one of the easiest things and IMHO one of the best (beside a TRI-TIP).

Welcome Jimmy G -

You'll find everything you need right here to get you smokin' great food in no time. I friendlier group you'll not find anywhere!

I have a frined on LI. Apparently hardware of any kind is hard to find on LI. Well waiting is something we do alot of while smoking good thing to learn early! Have fun!

Welcome Jimmy G. You found the happening place. You will learn lots and be ready to start smokin by the time your rig arrives. You will love it. I just quit a company I worked for in LI, Hauppauge. Never lived there just worked for them and made an occasional trip there on business.

Good learnin and smokin :)

Jimmy, welcome to SMF. The GOSM is a nice unit and the Deluxe is the model that I use. The e-course is chock full of useful information. Don't forget to check out the Propane section.

Thank you all for all the positive feedback! I can't wait to get smokin!!! I finished the first part of the e-course last night, and just got home to find part two in my in-box. Gonna have to wait till tomorrow sometime. I'll keep you all informed as this new hobby of mine progresses, and you can be sure there'll be plenty of questions coming your way...

Jimmy

Did a TON of reading today on this forum as well as for part 2 of the eCourse (Part 3 never came :? ).

Things I found through this forum today:
1-Signed up for a free trial issue of Fiery Foods & BBQ Magazine (fiery-foods.com)
2-Ordered a cover for my Big Block GOSM from ePod2000
3-Ordered a Maverick ET-73 dual probe wireless, remote smoker thermometer from partshelf.com
4-Learned what fatties & ABTs are (and I can't wait to smoke & eat 'em!!!)

I am more excited today than I was yesterday! How many more days till my Big Block arrives? I CAN'T WAIT!!!

welcome to the forums, sounds like your super addicted already without even having smoked the first time :) you will love the fatties, trust me....our favorite is the jimmy dean sage, and abt's are a big hit also....in fact I just received my chili roasta's from target.com, 4 racks that hold 12 each....and they were less then 14 bucks a pop!!!!! granted you can also just slice in half and lay them flat....that is how I did it before the racks. pretty soon you will find yourself thinking of what all you can smoke and suddenly realize that everything can be smoked....soon the kids will be eating smoked cereal for breakfast
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky