New to Grilling and Smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gpchef

Original poster
Jun 21, 2016
Hello everyone,

I'm new to Grilling and Smoking and loving it. I've been afraid of the grill for years, but now conquered that fear. I'm a 50 year old female in Atlanta Georgia and I started grilling on a little $40 grill. I've grown up to the big boy...old country Pecos Smoker. I absolutely love it. I am having a little trouble getting the smoking part down...my meat taste too smokey, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't have an instructional booklet, because I bought the smoker as a return. Can you please give me some advice? Thank you

First off Welcome there is plenty of knowledge on this forum. Full of great people willing to help out. I myself am also a newbie so not much knowledge to share but hang in there and it will start pouring in. 
welcome1.gif

Welcome to the forum!  I'm not an offset guy, but aspire to be one.  I know that your fire quality is an issue if your meat tastes too smokey.  Clean burning dry wood splits, Joe Black preheats his on the firebox prior to stoking the fire.  You want to get that thin blue smoke.  Glad you joined us.

Mike

Welcome, I have an Oklahoma Joe offset, when I first started I had that problem because I wasn't getting a good bed of coals going before I put my meat on..my wood was still putting out creo which is very bitter, and putting out too much smoke.  

What I do now is put about half a chimney of coals on leave all vents wide open even leave the fire box and cook chamber doors open. After they ash over I put on a split, close the FB door only for about 15 mins then close the CC door and start to bring things up to temp.  This process  takes at least an hour and half before I can put on any food in the CC, this will give you time to get the smoker up to temp and burning right, leave all your  vents open full until you get the temps up to anywhere from 200 to 225, you'll have to get a feel for when you need to start shutting down the vents to stabilize your temps, every smokers different, even the type of wood you use changes things a bit.  But like was mentioned, keep your next split on top of the fire box it will start faster and smoke less when you put it on, don't put any wet wood in there only dry.  Your looking for thin smoke, doesn't take a whole lot wood when you have a good bed of hot coals.  Don't put any food on until you have stable temp and good thin smoke. On my smoker by the time I put on the food, my FB vent is barely open maybe a quarter of inch, I can maintain temps with a single small slit for more then a hour and a half, for a 5 or 6 hour smoke I may only use 3 or 4 splits.  But keep in mind to do that you need to have a very well sealed smoker to do this,  air causes more fire more heat more smoke, so fire management is a very BIG part of offset smoking.  Best advise I can give for anyone with a new smoker is do a dry run just like you were doing a smoke to get a feel for how your smoker is going to react.  

The last thing you want is be experimenting with fire management with some expensive meats in your smoker paying for your leaning curve...lol...what most new pit masters do is end up chasing the temps, temps get low they panic put too much wood in or coals, the temps shoot up to 400 degree, they panic more start pulling stuff out or shutting off all there vent open the CC doors, and the temps nose dive to 150 degree well you get the picture, I did it, I venture to say every one here has done it..lol..practice runs will help prevent a good deal of that from happening.  Good luck lots of folks here to help

Last edited:
Reactions: mike5051
Thank you for responding and good luck too you also.:sausage::grilling_smilie:

Thanks Mike , but all I did is pass on what was taught to me when I first came onto this forum, and it has served me well, took me awhile but I pretty much have my Ok Joe dialed in and pretty happy with it now.  Nice to not have to hoover over my smoker every min. I think when I purchased my Maverick remote temp things started to fall into place very quickly, best investment I every made for my smoker, next to my deflector plate.  Both have made life so much easier....lol...has well as this forum

Excellent post GoNavy!  

Mike

Thanks Mike , but all I did is pass on what was taught to me when I first came onto this forum, and it has served me well, took me awhile but I pretty much have my Ok Joe dialed in and pretty happy with it now.  Nice to not have to hoover over my smoker every min. I think when I purchased my Maverick remote temp things started to fall into place very quickly, best investment I every made for my smoker, next to my deflector plate.  Both have made life so much easier....lol...has well as this forum
You took the time to post an informative coherent post that would help anyone with an offset. Passing along the knowledge gained from this forum is what makes it an excellent post!

Mike

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a hot day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky