new smoker build...roughly 22 sq ft

Discussion in 'Other Builds' started by towerclimber, Jun 19, 2014.

1. towerclimber

towerclimber Fire Starter

Hello all,
    I'm building my first smoker (j.o.s. style with personal touches). Here are a few pics to get the conversation started...ideas oor insight are apreciated...thx in advance

2. dandl93

dandl93 Smoking Fanatic

I am in on this one.

How thick is the steel ?

Are you doing a off set FB ?

Dan

3. towerclimber

Hey Dan
    The inside steel is 3/16 on both the sides, the lower front and lower back. The lower back is going to be the door which gives me accsess to my heat source which will be sitting under a 3 " water pan.

It is going to be fully isulated, which is why I went with 12 guage instead off all 3/16 inside and out
    The rest of the steel is 12 gauge and I'm putting in three racks...roughly 21" x 46"

Ill keep up to date pics as they develop

4. towerclimber

No it will not be offset...it will all be in a 48" x24"x48" cabinet

5. towerclimber

Got some more work done between today and yesterday...both side are on now...vent holes cut in and welded. Also got the first side of the fb door welded, still have to insulate and weld the other side...will post pics tomarrow after I put my work in, planning on building the smoke stacks and finishing the top

6. towerclimber

Got more done today...put in the inside top and the water pan and did some grinding on the edges...its comin together

7. handymanstan

handymanstan Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

Looking good so far TC.  So with this kind of smoker you are always cooking in steam?   I was wondering how you were going to mount the water pan. [​IMG]

Stan

8. towerclimber

Stan...I just ran the 1"x1" sq tube and tacj welded the bottom incase I ever have to replace the waterpan...
    I have never ran a water cooker but I have Always put some form of water pan in my home depot specials for moisture

9. towerclimber

I just reread your post...I don't have to have water in the pan if I don't want to but foresight I always will

10. handymanstan

When I went and looked at the JOS website it looked to me that Myron Mixon always Smokes with the pan full of water and making steam to tenderize the meet.  I was wondering if you could smoke with the pan dry or if you were planing on always using water. If you cook dry would you put some kind of mass in the water pan like bricks?  I think it's a cool smoker and will be watching for you to finish it and smoke something.  You will have to tell us at the get together how it works for you. 

11. towerclimber

Yea I plan on always filling the water pan....never really gave ot any thought to dry smoking but bricks would be a good idea if i did dry cook...maybe a pizza "oven" considering the pan is only gonna be 18 inches above flames

12. towerclimber

Got more done this weekend...
    Firebox door Is on its hinges and toggle clamp is on,
    Still have to find a handle for it but it won't be long.
    First smokestack is also on...will be finishing the second and top should be on tommarrow night...work permitting.
    Enjoy the pics

13. handymanstan

Looking good TC.  [​IMG]

14. towerclimber

Well here's some utd pics as of yesterday. I spent my 4th working on the smoker and as of now I could not be happier with the results so far. Doors will be on today and I also have to tie in the water pan threw the outside wall and then its a waiting game for my food racks and charcoal basket...which will be done next friday...I can't wait...I will have it done in time for my brothers grad party!!!

15. towerclimber

Question...
    I know there is a three hour rest time for brisket, andI know that burnt ends have to go back on the smoker for an hour or two. My question is do you cuy the brisket before the rest period or after?

16. handymanstan

Hey TC the smoker is coming along nicely. What do you estimate the weight of that beast?

You want to leave the flat whole while resting then slice it before eating.

Stan

17. towerclimber

Well everything is done except the door handles...still trying to find something cool to set off the look of the smoker. I ordered the steel for the food racks and ill have that done friday morning...just in time for saturdays grad party !!!!!!!!

Stan estimated weight is around 7-8 hundred lbs...good thing I'm strong!

18. towerclimber

Finally done...first cook on the new family member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  19. dandl93

dandl93 Smoking Fanatic

Congrads and nice build

Dan

20. Tower climber I am starting to build the same type of smoker can you tell me you firebox and food chamber dimensions please. Also does your water pan have a drain and a refill system.