new owner:)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boatguypdx

Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
My name is Rich up in Portland, Or. I have been cooking since I was a little kid, am in my mid 30s now. I bought a Smoke Hollow No. 6 gas grill over the weekend. Have already done about 10 lbs. of baby backs and brisket both. And currently have 30 lbs. of ground pork and beef curing for summer sausage.

My question is, can i open up the burner control and turn the gas down somehow? The lowest temp i can get in it is a little over 300 degrees, which is way too hot as we all know.

I tried turning down the propane bottle itself. But the flame kept going out and eeking gas. Good thing I was watching or there could have been a big problem.

My buddy has the same smoker and leaves his door open to cool it off. But i don't particularly like that option.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome Rich, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

I know about the needle valve option also but be very careful there are some things that can go wrong, burner going out and gas accumulating and causing an explosion. I suspect if you are relying on the thermometer on the door that came with the smoker it is way off. Use a known thermometer or test your door one in boiling water for accuracy (212 Fahrenheit at sea level). Most stock thermometers are crap. otherwise call the manufacturer and they may send you a new burner. I have a Smoke Hollow 5 and have no similar problem.

Part of my job is maintaining an industrial boiler and anything that involves modifying a gas valve circuit makes me nervous, When they are manufactured there are safety features factored in obviously for liability reasons, but I have seen where a hot water heater blew up half of a high school because the circuit was modified. Maybe I an just paranoid, but I wouldn't do it

Greetings Rich, and Welcome to the 'community'.

Enjoy your stay at
SMF
Settle in and have fun.
Any questions, plenty of experts... and make yourself at home.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

DOWNLOAD HERE

I created a 32x32 Desktop icon for SMF members if they want it. Just download it, UNzip it to anywhere (but remember where)... then if you have a current icon you are using just right-click/ 'properties'/change icon/ and go look for where you unzipped it and click it. Then name the icon what ever you want... obviously I named mine Smoking Meat Forums

If you don't have a desktop icon you can easily create one using this icon if you want.
It is transparent so your background should just show threw!!
254c72fb_vbattach22714.gif

Welcome boatguy,
I'm down in Springfield and am picking up my wood burner next week in the SF Bay area. Theres quite a few of us here in the area that can maybe help one another. Look forward to your qview

Hello and welcome to SMF.

Rich, I would have to agree with GaryT..if you turn down the gas supply too low with the needle valve there could be problems. One member did a automation project in one of the forums.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...t=51327&page=5
it is by cajunsmoker. He used a white rodgers gas valve normally for a furnance, it has an active pilot. The millivolt generator(thermocouple) looks for the pilot, if is is there, it generates a millivolt signal which when run threw the contacts on the oven controller allows for save on/off control of the gas valve. If the pilot is not there, no signal is generated and thus, the gas valve cannot open...but you would still have a little gas from the pilot. That would be as close to a safety on the gas line as you could get. I am looking to modify my gasser with PID control and using pretty much the same idea as cajun but going a few steps further..hope I added something to this forum and didn't confuse everyone and myself.

Hello Rich, and welcome to the SMF. Always room for another Rich.

Rich welcome to SMF glad you decided to join us

First off welcome Rich to SMF. You'll like it here cause there are abunch of good folks here that would just love to help you out with just about anythignto do with smoking. We really like to have newbies here because they can bring in a new propective to how things are done. There's nothing like a new set of eyes to give and new way to make things that little differant to make things alittle better. So I hope you know about the Qview here.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=58920
Here's a link to photobucket it's free and easy to download pictures. Then if your really new to smoking Look up the E-course.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...play.php?f=127
It's also free and it will give you the basics of smoking. So after all of that you just need to go grab something to smoke and if you have any question just post them here and we will answer it quickly so you don't have any mishaps with your smoke.
Welcome To Your New Addiction

I have a Smoke Hollow #6 and had the same problem when I bought it. It was running too hot. I called customer service and they sent me a new, smaller burner and a different regulator and hose. That fixed the problem.

I have a friend with a #5 from them and his was burning too hot. They did the same thing for him once he called them.

After some use, the plastic part that screws on the LP tank cracked on mine. I called them and they sent me a new part for no charge and no questions asked.

Their customer service is great. You actually speak to a real person. I love mine and the company. I'm not sure why they make the product so it burns too hot, but they are willing to send you what you need to fix it for no charge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky