• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ramkiller

Original poster
Jan 20, 2015
Tucson, Az
Retired mechanic and trying my hand at smoking for the 3rd time.

I'm using a traeger Jr. with a new digital controller that makes all the diff in the world.

I quite using the Traeger with the stock controller because it wrecked everything I tried to smoke or should I say -- cook, very big lack of smoke.
I've really enjoyed the new controller from Ortech.
These Traegers have a aweful hot spot on the drip pan just above the burn pot that I've elimated with the ceramic Grill Grates laying on the flame diffuser but decided to actually mount the ceramics to the underside of the drip pan that required moving the drip pan snout that pokes thru the smoker for the drip bucket, it now protrudes just about even with the carry handle and I'm about ready to test for even heating on both ends of the smoker.

Also I've lined the whole bottom of the smoker with the Grill Greats which help retain the heat along with a water pan and access door for refilling down in the belly at the opposite end from the burn pot.

More info to follow as I discover what the results are

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from another beautiful sunny day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Thanks Gary S.
I lived in your neck of the woods back in the 70's, Wills Point, Terrell, Mineola, Tyler, Longview were my old stomping grounds, Wills Point was where I went to school

Very familiar with Wills Point we use go through there all the time going to Lake Tawakoni  that been a lot of years ago

Gary

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
Happy smoken.
David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky