New Guy with a UDS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think you just need to cook a bunch of meat in there. I bet that metalic smell came off the new grill grates. they may have had a light oil coating on them from the factory or maybe the expanded metal. That basket is not galvanized is it? I bet it will be gone the first time you cook. I usually christen all my BBQ stuff with liberal sprinkling of my favorite rub right down into the charcoal. Don't know where I got that from but it is part of my ritual. I think I might have to come up with A lid like that for the next one I do. Happy smokin' and Happy Holidays!

Its the expanded metal that is sold at Home Depot, so it possibly could be.  The cooks that I have done on it have turned out fine, no metal taste or smell to any of the meat.  I have noticed that on some smokes there is more moisture inside the drum than on others, is this common?  And what I mean by this, I will have condensation built up around the chimney and also it will build up around where the lid fits the drum.  The next day when I check the drum there is liquid at the bottom, not that its a hassle to clean, just wondering if this too is common in an UDS

I made my fire basket out of that same stuff from home depot. I bet it just took a bit to break everything in. I live in the soggy northwest and yes condensation is there. what I have found is to leave a vent open at the bottom of your drum and that seems to help with it. I also got a ez up canopy to get it out of the rain. Have not had any water in the drum since I did this. The seasoning does protect it from most rust but I get a little around the bottom intakes. I just hit it with some more flat black paint every so often.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky