NEW GOSM Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tcb294

Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Hey Gents!

First time poster. I've been reading on here for a while. I know all my questioned are answer on here some where but, it's one of those week ends. You know, kids need to be here, here and here and this needs to be done, done and done.

I've been looking for a GOSM for awhile. None at Bass Pro, didn't want to pay there shipping. I was checking the store yester day and there was a girl there, she asked what I was looking for,,,a propane smoker I responded,,,none on the floor,,,she said we hae some kind in the back for $139. That's even lower than there web site. I asked if it was a GOSM, of course she don't know. She brings it out and it's from GOSM Canada and has a sticker to hold for customer 3/15/09. I guess he didn't come back, my luck. It came with a cover too.

Anyway, How do a need to season it?
Recommeded Mods? Do I need to go ahead and put a needle valve on it to get the temp down? or wait and see how it does?

I had to put one on my holland grill and it made a big difference.

Can't wait to cook a butt and some smoker kingfish this summer.

Thanks for any help

Tom

Congrats on the new smoker, if I were you I'd check out the smoker mod sticky. There are lots of good mods for your smoker with pics. You should do a couple smokes with the factory setup that way you can get an idea of what mods would soot you best. As far as breaking it in just crank it up to the high setting fill it up with water and your favorite wood chunks and let it cook for 30 minutes.

Enjoy and don't forget the Qview
icon_lol.gif

"Anyway, How do a need to season it?"

Someone here once told me to get a lb of bacon, and fry it until its crisp. Take the drippings and paint the insides of the smoker. Then turn on your smoker for a couple of hours to season it. It worked for me.

Tom, congrats on the gosm yall gonna love it. Hey do us a favor an stop by roll call when ya get a chance, tell us bout yerself ifin ya like, experience an such, heps us hep you.

To season, Wash the grates in warm soapy water, wipe down the inside with paper towels an spay with the cheapest no stick spray ya can get, Then run it ta 250* fer say an hour then upta 375* fer another hour er so.

I thin thats what I did with mine, been awhile.

I wouldn't put a needle valve on till ya try several runs, mine don't need one, others have had ta put em on.

I added a stack ta mine, sausage carrosel, 4 bricks fer thermal mass an a probe port. All that is in the mods sticky.

Good luck with the new toy!

Welcome to the SMF, you have plenty of great reading material available to you. Take your time on determining what mods you really need before proceeding. I moved your thread to roll call, so other members can give you a warm welcome.

Welcome to SMF. Congrats on the new smoker. Did the smoker come with a manual? Read your manual and then take advantage of Jeff's free 5 day course and you'll be smoking in no time.

I never went with the needle valve either. I can run 150+ with no problems. If I need lower than 150*, I just put a couple pieces of charcoal in the 9x9 cake pan with the wood & don't use the propane.

Welcome to SMF glad you joined us and congrats on the new GOSM. Hope you got that cheap no stick spray and got it seasoned. Another thing is to not trust the stock thermometer they are rarely correct. Have fun and happy smoking

Congrats on the new smoker. Looking forward to some Qview. Glad you finally came out of hiding.
biggrin.gif

Hello Tom, and welcome to SMF. Congrats on the new smoker, sounds like you stumbled onto a good deal. You'll like the GOSM, easy to use and puts out great Q. Also, lots of members here use these rigs, so there are always lots of folks to ask when you have questions. Have fun and happy smokin'

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky