New from NC, USA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
welcome1.gif
To SMF glad to have you on board. Take the time to read Initial Greeting on the Home page it will help you to navigate the sight and there is also a search on the top of Home page to assist you. Enjoy your new toys.

Reactions: dave mathews
Thanks guys, I'm in Leland which is right outside of Wilmington. I've had this kettle for a year now, been usin it to smoke for 6 months. The ash pan was too small, so I cut down a metal 5 gallon pail to fit on the shelf underneath. Now I only have to empty it once a month. I'll be doing a [emoji]128055[/emoji] shoulder and rack of ribs tomorrow on the WSM.

Quick question, while smoking do ya'll pull the meat off the smoker as soon as it hits the target internal temperature or let it go for a few minutes. Doing a pork shoulder tomorrow for pulled pork sandwiches during football sunday. I'm shooting for 195° internal temp.

I pull with in a few minutes and allow to rest before doing anything else to allow the juices to settle If you carver or pull to soon you will lose juices. My .02 worth

Reactions: dave mathews
Welcome to SMF Dave and were glad to have you aboard.  I would take the butt to 195 for slicing. For pulling i would take it to 205-210. Sometimes at 195 they will be harder to pull. Butts are forgiving when it comes to temps. They wont dry out with the higher IT

Good luck and happy smoking

Boykjo

ps. dont forget to fill out your location in your profile

Welcome from SC. It's really good to have you on this great site. I may be a little late, but Joe from Raleigh got you spot on. A good IT for pulled pork is 200-210*. When you get to the stall at around 165*, you may want to wrap the butt and put about 1/2 cup of apple juice in the foil. Wrapping will to push through the stall. The apple juice will add moisture and the acidity of the juice will help with tenderness.

You will enjoy your WSM. I had one for about 5 years and really liked it. It's very user friendly and will give you some great food.

Good luck and keep on smokin'. Don't forget to post some pice of your cooks. Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky