New from Louisiana

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by rachelkin, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Hi there ya'll. I'm an extreme new comer to the smoking universe!!! I'm a cook and have been wanting to venture into smoking for a time now. I convinced the husband that he wanted an electric smoker and Santa brought him one for Christmas (Santa is very sly)!!! However after only 2 days of reading this forum I'm clearly infatuated!! His Christmas gift is more exciting to me than the jewelry, perfume, spa day, etc that Santa brought me!!
    Me:
    Location, southern Louisiana
    LSU fanatic
    Member of the Who Dat Nation
    Home cook (pretty decent so they tell me)
    Love to fish
    Love football & baseball (addicted to Fantasy Football & newly reigning champion!!)
    Love to shop
    Newly purchased electric smoker

Thanks in advance to all the awesome threads where I've gained much know how in just 2 days. You guys rock. Looking forward to learning more and sharing my experiences!!!!

2. Welcome to SMF, you will find ton's of information on here. If you need any help or have questions just ask.

Gary

3. Thanks.  I should add, I have my smokers maiden voyage ongoing now.  I put in a pork shoulder this morning and as I've read, it seems plateaued at 165.  I'm trying to be patient but I'm super anxious.  I also put a boudin stuffed pork loin (3 lbs) and it was done hours ago.  It came out delish.  But the shoulder is trying my nerves!!

4. Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
    About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
    and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
    We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
    Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
    because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
    Happy smoken.
    David

rachelkin likes this.
  5. Just be patient, it's in the stall  hang in there

Gary

6. Thanks ya'll. I'll post a thread with pics once I have a finished product. Looks like leftovers tonight and hopefully yummy PP tomorrow.

7. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Howdee Rachel nice of you to drop by. Becareful because it is so easy here to get overwhelmed with what to do next. <Chuckles> So many good recipes and the advice is top notch.

Just remember like Mule said there is no one perfect way to smoke. Everyone here will gladly completely innodate you with how they like it. Its really all about you learning to tame that smoker to do what you want, how you want to do it.

Start easy with inexpensive meats to learn, whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Bon chance and remember to enjoy every smoke.

Oh and remember to add which electric your husband got. It will help alot when and if you need assistance.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  8. Hi there fellow Louisianian!!

It's a Cajun Injector from Academy. Black Friday special. Although I must admit I'm kicking myself for not spending more and going with the master built with the glass door. My OCD is killing me wanting to open this dang door.

9. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

Welcome from another Red Stick Smoker., I have used the MES 40" electric for over 5 years and thoroughly enjoy it. You will  want to get the AMNPS to go along w/ that electric smoker.. It will give you perfect smoke for 8 hrs + .. that way you dont have to feed chips every 45 min .

Anything i can do to help or if you have questions just ask.

10. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Welcome Rachel, glad ya joined us ! We have a few hobbies in common.... Q, football (Cowboys fan though, since I was 4), & fantasy football !

See ya around the forum !

11. Well as much as it pains me to say, congrats on making it to the playoffs. :th_crybaby2:

12. waterinholebrew

Thanks Rachel, but at least your team has won a Super Bowl recently.... My team hasn't been to the big game for nearly 20 yrs.

How's that shoulder coming ?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  13. True Dat. It was a long time coming!!

I'm at 185 right now. So close. I'm guesstimating another 4 beers!! My garage smells amazing. So does my sweatshirt!!

14. waterinholebrew

Probably right on the guesstimate there... If your wrong, 5-6 worse case scenario....LOL. That stuff does smell soooo good, I know what ya mean !

Has anyone told ya on the rest, pretty important part of the smoke !

15. Is this where I should foil, towel, then cooler? Read it on a thread. Thoughts on this? I'm open for suggestions?

16. waterinholebrew

Yes, once it's done do exactly that. That way during the rest, the juices will redistribute back throughout the meat ! I like to rest for a couple hours at least.

17. Any pictures yet?

Gary

18. Coming up shortly. It was a long night!!

19. Here's another one. The word that immediately came to mind when it almost fell apart trying to remove the therm was "fragile"!!!!