New build (Budget Build)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It could cause problems. In a reverse flow, radiant heat from the RF plate does a lot of the cooking. The closer it is to the radiant source, the more heat on the meat.
Generally I like to see at least 3 inches. There are a lot of variables to consider, and no two designs will behave in exactly the same way.
I would recommend trying it at 2" and if the bottoms of the biscuits get scorched, you can always move the rack up an inch or two.

The door is doing this at both end this is the worse of the two ends it is sealing good in the center.  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?
Looks to me like the flat part of your hinge that is welded to the door is hitting the cook chamber before the door is completely in position. The only fix I see is to move the hinge pin/pivot so that it is on top of the seam between the door and cook chamber. Unfortunately that would require total removal of your hinges. I remember somewhere on here someone said that lining up those barrel type hinges was a real pain. You may just want to replace them with another style. Here is a link to a thread that shows several different styles:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/104626/hinges-for-my-builds

Good luck hoped this helped.

Keep Smokin!!!

Wolf

You say it seals good in the center. Looks like the hinge weld caused the corner to bow up. You may be able to clamp and jack the corner back in place. Take door off and persuade it with a sledge. You can also run a weld bead on the inside of the door to counteract the hinge welds. Shrink it back into shape.

RG

I have since added the stack vent adjustment and angle for shelves and varies other loose ends I'm getting really close hope to be smoking on it while it's still too hot to hang out in front of it.

Looking Good, I like Budget Builds, and all kinds of builds

gary

Ok so I've decided to cut my losses on the hinges I'm going to use the drops from my ends and cut some pieces to weld to the door and the body of the CC anyone have any advice in making the switch I'm assuming I should weld the new hinges in place before cutting the old ones off.  Any thoughts or advice on this would be greatly appreciated will post pics of it hopefully soon. 

Thanks

Ok so I've decided to cut my losses on the hinges I'm going to use the drops from my ends and cut some pieces to weld to the door and the body of the CC anyone have any advice in making the switch I'm assuming I should weld the new hinges in place before cutting the old ones off.  Any thoughts or advice on this would be greatly appreciated will post pics of it hopefully soon. 

Thanks
If the door is still warped as shown in post #45, I would recommend cutting off the old hinges first.

It may be easier to straighten out the door without the new hinges welded to it. Kind of depends on how it needs to be worked to get it straight.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky