Need some more advice on my sausage endeavor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes the main shaft looks the same. When i took the shaft out the threads are just a hair tighter than the threads on the gears.

Guess they have to get ya somewhere...HA

Not trying to bash or call anyone down, just trying to help.

And being most helpful you are! Certainly no offense taken by any means, Sen Se. (Hands folded reverently, head respectfully bowed)

I can see it now, Mister smart aleck here, gets his metal gears to replace the stupid plastic ones he should have avoided in the first place, disassembles his stuffer, installs the new metal ones, and whamo. They don't work!

At that moment the appropriate response would be, "Shucks (insert the generally accepted lingustic response here), I should have listened to Nepas!" LOL

Lots and Lots of folks use the Northen with the plastic gears with no problem.

I have made lots of sausage with mine...still works like new.

Guess my being a mechanic for so long paid off..

Quote from my first mentor...."Dont put 800 foot pounds on a quarter inch fastener!!!!".

When the handle stops turning it's time to stop. Not try to get a little more out.

Have a great day!!

Craig

Lots and Lots of folks use the Northen with the plastic gears with no problem.

I have made lots of sausage with mine...still works like new.

Guess my being a mechanic for so long paid off..

Quote from my first mentor...."Dont put 800 foot pounds on a quarter inch fastener!!!!".

When the handle stops turning it's time to stop. Not try to get a little more out.

Have a great day!!

Craig

Good advice that will be heeded.

here's a thread I submitted a few years ago on reproportioning seasonings, etc.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/69518/sausage-prep

I use seasonings and mixes from Butcher Packer and am very satisfied with them.  http://www.butcher-packer.com/

I do make up my own brines and breakfast sausage seasonings and am re-doing some mixes to lower the salt content too.

I bought the Cabela's 1 hp. grinder and the 15lb. Northern Tool stuffer and have been very happy with them; but I was in the meat business for 30+ years so I knew what to buy.  However, for home use I started out with a KitchenAid grinder w/stuffing tubes and used that for several years until I could afford to buy what I wanted.  It was slow but it did the job and was able to produce lots of tasty products!  And, not done yet; if I get more time and money (lol) I'll go up to the 1¾ hp. Cabela's grinder and probably a 30-40lb. motorized stuffer and 40-60 lb. mixer; and remodel my garage into a processing area!  Of course, that will happen only once I can afford to send the wife on non-stop cruises, lol!

Have a ball and enjoy your addiction... it will serve you well and give you plenty to be proud of and share with us with lots of Qview!  

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky