Need some help on fire-grate material

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lmci

Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Southeastern Va
Putting a grate in my firebox to get it up a little higher off the floor.  Want to use a paint roller screen (for a 5 gal bucket) purchased at Home Depot.  Not sure what it's made of, but it's shiny steel and magnetic (so not aluminium).  Any recommendations (or cautions?).  I'm burning a stack of coals on it now to see how it holds up, and check for noxious fumes.  Nothing so far.  Picture below; if you've used one you'll recognize it right away.

Appreciate any feedback;

Thanks,
Larry

a863efbe_DSCN2126.jpg

Ok, never mind.  After burning a heap of charcoal on it the edges pealed back (some kind of coating/surface treatment).  Decided to err on the side of "let's not get sick as a dog" and throw it out.  Cleaning out the box/grates of dust and will start over with the original grate.

Sometimes you win..., sometimes not so much....

Larry

Ok, never mind.  After burning a heap of charcoal on it the edges pealed back (some kind of coating/surface treatment).  Decided to err on the side of "let's not get sick as a dog" and throw it out.  Cleaning out the box/grates of dust and will start over with the original grate.

Sometimes you win..., sometimes not so much....

Larry

Hiya larry,

get the expanded metal, the roller screen is probably hot dipped in galvanize . You dont want that in your smoker anyway.

But eman, the galv gives off such a pretty green smoke. LOL its not thin either.

Where ya located Larry? There may be someone close to ya that could help ya along the way.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky