Need help with finishing a small pork center cut loin- doing it now

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaded

Original poster
May 23, 2010
Cincinnati area
Still learning.  Put 1/2 of a center cut loin (about 3#) in the smoker about 3 hrs ago, keeping the temp at 225.

Since its small, and most pork instructions I've found so far address pork butt, I need some help. 

Internal temp now at 145, and I just wrapped it in foil and put it back in the smoker.  Will this be a suitable cut for pulling if I let it teach 200 degrees, will this cut be dried if I do this, or will it stay firm? 

I don't want to cook it into shoe leather if it'll never pull. 

Thanks in advance guys.

No it won't. Butts go up that high because at about 190 the fats and collagen start melting and make it moist and tender. Loin is really lean and doesn't have that so it dries out. Loin is basically uncut pork chops.

Doug

Thanks again IH.  I pulled and rested it, and we just finished eating.  It definitely tasted great!  This is the first piece of meat I've been successful with.

Next will be the butt, ribs and chicken.  If those come out like this, I'll be hooked for life.

I appreciate your help.  Yes!!  It was delicious.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky