need help with a maverick wireless dual therm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by newsmokerky, Mar 27, 2015.

1. newsmokerky

newsmokerky Fire Starter

Hello.  I am planning to smoke my second butt tomorrow.  Based on several recommendations, I bought a Maverick dual probe therm.  I'm fooling around with it trying to figure it out.  LOL.  The instructions aren't very clear.  Anyone online that has one that can help?

2. goensouth

goensouth Smoke Blower

There are some great videos on YouTube that are easy to understand.I love my Maverick but the instructions are lacking.

3. bcchevy

bcchevy Newbie

Have done lots of "butts". I always shoot for 203 degrees if you want to pull it. That is close to the temp when the collagen breaks down and it pulls great. As far as the thermometer it is easy to set up. Hold the food button until it flashes then set for 203ish and hold mode button to set. Same with bbq button and you can set around 250. The butt is forgiving but I alway keep an eye on the temp

4. newsmokerky

newsmokerky Fire Starter

I think I've finally figured it out.  The "destructions" are certainly lacking....  I finally went back to step one....  I was messing with it without the probes in and transmitter on.  Even then, figuring out the dang sequence of when to press what buttons was trial and error.  Looking forward to using it tomorrow.  My first butt turned out great....  I'm going to follow the same process, with the new gadget.  230-240, and 203 for IT...  Can't decide if I'm going to foil or not....  I've had people tell me to not foil just so I can experience the delay.....  Don't plan to eat it tomorrow, so I may go without foiling just to see the diff.  

5. goensouth

goensouth Smoke Blower

I usually foil mine about 160 It always turns out great and juicy but it's really just preference next time I may try without.

6. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

If you want to eat at dinner time foil otherwise...

I'm doing a smoked corned beef and it's been at 136, really 136 (!!!), for an hour and a half. If it doesn't strart moving soon I'm gonna foil so dinner won't be at midnight! 😡

7. bcchevy

bcchevy Newbie

Right on. Make sure you have beer to enjoy during the stall.

8. newsmokerky

newsmokerky Fire Starter

Still not straight.  Got the setting for food, but can't get the dang thing to update temp on BBQ mode.  Suggestions?  The instructions say if you hit Set on BBQ mode, then the HI set will flash on the corresponding probe.  When I hit set on BBQ, the temp flashes, not the high or low.  I see no instructions on how to get it to toggle....  I've hit everything but the cat, and she's next.

9. welshrarebit

welshrarebit Master of the Pit

I can't do it either, and I've had mine for nine months. I give it to one of my kids and they change settings for me! I don't look as dumb as I am.

10. newsmokerky

newsmokerky Fire Starter

Wow.  I'm an IT guy.  Been a programmer for nearly 30 years.  Those instructions are horrible.  I looked at several youtube vids, but never saw any that showed going to BBQ temp...  I kept going in and out and trying different things.  I finally got the temps to flash and got them changed.  I do not know how...  LOL.  Second run on the butt tomorrow.  If it goes well, next will be brisket.

11. demosthenes9

demosthenes9 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Which model Maverick are you using ?

12. goensouth

goensouth Smoke Blower

Et 733 this is the link that helped me out.Maverick ET 733 Wireless BBQ Thermometer Review:

13. newsmokerky

newsmokerky Fire Starter

Yep, I found it and it helped me out.  Got her all hooked up.  Thanks for the tips.  

14. shaggy91954

shaggy91954 Meat Mopper

Reviews like this are why I bought the iGrill2

15. newsmokerky

newsmokerky Fire Starter

It seems to be working great....  Actually, setting it isn't hard once you realize how the screens work.....  Could definitely be easier though.

16. goensouth

goensouth Smoke Blower

I love mine the instructions are just lacking or I had to many beers when I was setting it up the 1st time. I think both.

17. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I always remove the Batteries , but when using I start with the Receiver on first  then I'll touch the Antennas when starting the Transmitter (one with Batteries in screw-in compartment).

Works every time. [​IMG]  

All my Therms. are in an Ammo Box for protection. Wires wrapped on cardboard holders and Screwdriver and Batteries in a ziplock within the Box. I've had them 3 yrs. and they are still 'Point-

on' temperature .