Need help please!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mule86

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Planning on smoking two 5.5lb butts tomorrow.  Now I've also been given a small boneless turkey breast to smoke as well.  I've never smoked turkey before so I don't know anything about it.

How should I prepare the turkey?  What internal temp should I take it too?  Would it be ok to lightly rub the turkey with the same rub I'm using for the pork?  About how long will it take to finish?  It's about a 1.5-2lb boneless turkey breast? 

I'm sure hickory isn't a good smoke wood for turkey, but that's what I'm using for the pork.  Would that be a big deal?  I know that big turkeys ned to be brined, but do I need to worry about that for this small boneless?

Sorry for all of the questinos.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm using a WSM 18.5''.  Hoping to get it all on the top rack since they'll finish at different times.

cool.gif

woo woo slow down and don't get your blood pressure up now. First off you are fine with smoking both at the same time but the turkey will be able to go into the smoker for a short period of time. Now start your pork butt and you really don't have to change anything in the smoker. Now you can brine the breast if you want to. I would use Tip's Slaughter House Brine it's really good and really easy. Now for the smoker I would keep it at 230°-250° mark for the whole smoke. Now with about 3-3 1/2 hours to go I would put the bird in on the lowest grate (poultry always goes on the lowest rack) Then smoke it to an internal temp of 165° in the thickest section of the breast. OK for the rub use what ever you feel is good at the time. I know that my taste changes like right now I like a sweeter rub then I used to use. I have pretty much used the same rubs on all my meats but then I have maybe 10 or so in my recipe book.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky