need help estimating cook times

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gotbags-10

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Indy
i have never cooked two butts before but i have a 6.5 and 7.5 lb butts i need to start on tomm night for work on friday. I didn't know if i should add the two together and figure 1.5 hrs which would be like 21 hours or figure the 1.5 hr rule for them idividually which would be like 10-12 hrs. Basically i need it to be done at 9 am so it can get wrapped and put in the cooler till 12 for lunch. What do ya figure?

Like fpnmf said, just estimate same as one butt.  If you have a sightly hotter part of the smoker then put the bigger one there.  12 hrs is a pretty good estimate if you are foiling

I agree with the above, except I tend to estimate 2 hours per pound, so the 7.5 could take 15 hours including the rest period.

Gotbags,I see no reason you wouldn't be able to do both at the same time,they're appox. the same size and if you wrap and rest in a cooler after smoking they will be good to go:

bfbfdd07_Betty004.jpg

I do them this way a lot . A full smoker seems to act as a heat sink and cooks better with not near as much fussing over the temps.

I do my Briskets the same way:

eb1aa189_Betty014.jpg

I love doing full loads and BSing with the Friends or whoever is over, I get to tell my tall tales and

discuss BBQ more that way...
biggrin.gif

Have fun and...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky