Need feedback on getting new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dewman29

Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Hey all --

I have been smoking now for over a year now and loving it. Thank you for all of the help and feedback.

So I have been using the ECB and have determined it is now time to move up to a new smoker.

I would like to get opinions and feedback on the smoker to get. I am leaning towards a gas smoker because I have found that keeping the temperature up on charcoal smokers is a real pain especially for long smokes -- like for a Boston Butt, etc. I know it is not just the ECB because my friend has the CharGrill smoker with the firepan on the side and he has a heck of a time maintaining temperature too.

So please sound off --
  • What is the best smoker for your money?
  • I need a good smoker that can hold a good amount of meat -- I have a reputation now with my family and friends and I want to be able to do a good amount of meat.
  • Is gas the best option? Do they burn a lot of gas for long smokes?
  • What are the best brands / models / etc, and what ones to stay away from?
Thank you so much everyone-

-DewMan

If you are looking for a low cost smoker that will hold a steady temp for long smokes you should take a look at a UDS. It does run off of charcoal but it keeps a better, steadier temps than my gas unit (now retired) . I have done over night briskets taken 13 hours on just one load of charcoal. Once it gets in the zone it stays there for a very long period.

One more thing with the UDS; the weather conditions doesn't seem to have a big effect on it's ability to run.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I would say my cap would probably be $300.

-DM

I cannot speak for the other types but I have a GOSM and love it
only drawback is I want a bigger smoker.It uses very little gasholds temp fairly well also good bang for the buck.Im sure others will chime in with their opinions also.
thats the nice thing about this sight. it will help you make a very informed decision.

My Smoke Vault hold quite enough meat. They're still on sale at Sporsman's Wareshouse for $259.00. On this smoke, I could have easily put in three more butts with room to spare.

The 38208G from Gander Mountain is a big smoker. Can't be sure but I think the brand name is Smoke Hollow. I think the dimensions of the cabinet are 38" x 20" x 14" and it will hold up to 10 or 11 cooking grids. I haven't been in the store for a while but I think they are selling this model for under $200.

Yes, that's the one. The new ones have the Browning name on them. I have the 24" model. I wouldn't pay $399.00 as the ad suggests. I paid $219.00 for mine. A year and a half later, bought one for my step-son for $279.00. Now on sale for 20 bucks less. It's a great smoker.

I have a GOSM and its a great smoker but if I was gonna go buy a new propane smoker today it would be the model Bassman has. Great smoker and lots of room.

Smoke Vault, Smoke Hollow or GOSM, I believe these are are great smokers for the money. From what you say you want out of your next rig, and what you want to spend, it sounds like you should take a look at one of these. I have a GOSM 20" and like it alot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky