Need a recipe for Deer Breakfast sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nitrousinfected

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
Van Buren AR
Getting alot of deer meat in the next couple of weeks. Kinda wanting to make suasage outta most of the ground. Looking for a good recipe. Never made sausage before, so kinda wanna try it, but let's make it fool proof as possible, hate to screw up 10lbs of ground deer meat
PDT_Armataz_01_07.gif

I just posted a recipe for another member for the all pork version. I'd say go with 60/40 venison/pork for the meat. Maybe use the "fattier" portions of a butt. So 6 Lbs deer, 4 Lbs. pork.
10 lbs pork butt- don't trim
6 Tbsp Kosher salt
2 Tbsp CBP
2 Tbsp ground sage
1 Tsp. ground ginger
1 Tsp. ground nutmeg
1 Tbsp. ground thyme
1 Tbsp hot pepper for spicy
A cup of ice water

Grind meat and add ingredients, pouring water over top to help mixing.

make a small patty and fry it up, check for salt and spice levels. Sometimes I tweak the recipe, but this is where I start! May need more salt, I try to keep that down a bit.

According to my wife and my doctor, I need to keep it down as well. Sounds good, will give it a try. I have a grinder, but do not have a mixer, I assume hand mixing is acceptable? Guess I could go buy a mixer, but hate to buy one and find out I dont care for the sausage making process and then I have another thing I dont use.

Maybe you should try a few recipes and see what you like. Most can be reduced easily without messing up the recipe.

Makes great jerky too.

Watch out for frostbite,mixing by hand will give you mighty cold fingers.Before I got a mixer Id put on a set of Jersey gloves then put surgical gloves on over them,it helps a lot believe me.

Please note: KOSHER salt. Big diff if ya don't use that and go with table...which I do not recommend in ANY cooking. Just my deal. Table is typically 1/2 of Kosher/sea/other "grainy" types of salt.

my personal fealings when making venison sausage is that i use the 60/40 just the opposite with pork 1st .i love venison but it's awfully dry.
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

When I make venison sausage or burger, I like to use three parts venison to one part pork fat.
If I want to inhance the flavor, I use a fatty bacon for the pork fat. Adds another level of flavor.

What Dacdots has to say is our (my wife's) biggest complaint about mixing sausage, this summer my wife purchsed a 44 lb. stainless steel mixer. We will see how that works.....

Here is a recipe that I got from another forum:
* 5 pounds boned pork butts
* 8 teaspoons kosher salt
* 1 2/3 teaspoons ground white pepper
* 3 teaspoons of rubbed sage
* 1/2 teaspoons ginger
* 1 2/3 teaspoons nutmeg
* 5 teaspoons thyme
* 1 1/3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
* 1 cups ice water
This was originally for 15 lbs. so if you want to make that much, just triple everything.
I make a lot of sausage. I think that breakfast sausage needs at least 20% fat and really like 30% better. I only add 15% venison to my pork and then add pork fat to that. JMHO
Pork butts are on the average 80% lean/20% fat. Do the math when you add your venison.

Cowgirl, I ground some burger last week and to 5 lbs of venison, I added 2 lbs bacon ends. That was good, but marginal on having enough fat to fry. Next time I will probably add 3 lbs bacon ends to 5 lbs venison.

Same here Bill and goat.
smile.gif

I like that fat bacon ground into the venison...especially when I make it into summer sausage. Sure adds a nice touch.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

not a recipe site, but how-to pictorial for making almost any sausage recipe.

also includes my method for mixing meats, fats, spices, as well as how to estimate what % fat you have and will be using.

www.homesausagemaker.blogspot.com

I have never used any wild meats before, but have read that you want to remove all deer fat and use pork fat. You can research this tidbit for yourself.

Hope the web site helps you in some way.

-=- Jerry -=-

Here is a pic of my smoked German venison sausage. Maiden Voyage for my smoker- now completely modified. This sausage has no pork- just venison and 10 percent Beef Suet. Most exellent.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky