Nakeeeeeeed Bird!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Yep that's right stripped this bird down! Wanted the skin for rendering so we could have some Schmaltz.

8f751dddef13a1ed96b3064d761ca4a5.jpg

d161350a3578f0a1c07640660d168cfe.jpg

Took some fresh sage, rosemary, thyme, garlic, evoo, and lemon juice and processed it up. Rubbed the slurry on the bird.

Fired up the mini with KFB and cherry wood. Topped out above 400.

While the bird was cooking boiled the neck and parts down for stock and gravy.

6fa122e9760ec0fc7259f7698acc597d.jpg

a2df83a18d82582b0fdd940f71b003fd.jpg

75155e1407086b400bbe85bd4beb3234.jpg

b816ed8106cfa6ea064c5895181c15ae.jpg

56c1a93f834c0b0073301356a176901f.jpg

fda1e5acefebd95179ad29496b013812.jpg

000c2cbfd03ec6caf33c74597ca0010a.jpg

ENJOY!!!!

Smoke away!!!

Looks great.

Looks like it has skin on after its cooked.

So juicy. Don't need the skin to keep the juice in.

Looks great.

Looks like it has skin on after its cooked.

So juicy. Don't need the skin to keep the juice in.

Yeah I haven't done a skinless bird in a while. As you saw super moist, and super tasty! Get great smoke flavor going skinless!

Man, I would have thought that it would lose moisture, but that bird looks like you dropped it in a bucket of water after the smoke! LOL

Great chicken Case!

Mighty delicious looking Bird Gal there Case
drool.gif

Looked danged good on the plate with them Beans and taters
biggrin.gif

Did you cook at 400*F or where ? and how long  . . .

Details here , Case .
Coffee.gif

have fun and . . .

Looks pretty perfect from here! I too would have thought there might have been some dryness or toughness in the outer parts, but it doesn't look like it was a problem at all. Thanks for proving me wrong!!

Mighty delicious looking Bird Gal there Case :drool .

Looked danged good on the plate with them Beans and taters :biggrin:  .

Did you cook at 400*F or where ? and how long  . . .

Details here , Case .
Coffee.gif

have fun and . . .

Thanks! Yep the Mini was cruising right around 400-415. Not sure on the time, took it until the IT in the breast was 165. Probably an hour and some change I guess!

Looks pretty perfect from here! I too would have thought there might have been some dryness or toughness in the outer parts, but it doesn't look like it was a problem at all. Thanks for proving me wrong!!

Thanks MD! The mini is an awesome smoker for higher temp cooks which makes all the difference for retaining the moisture.

Case that is a fine looking yard bird. Very nice color and moist.

The stock also looks very good.

Happy smoken.

David
Thanks David! The gravy was a bit thin, but I was tired of waiting for it to thicken up! Still tasted great though, love homemade gravy! Especially when there's little chunks of meat in there.

Terrific looking bird, Case. Something else for me to try!

Disco

Thank Disco! I had forgot how much I like skinless chicken! I really like doing this with a bird Asian style (soy, star anise, ginger, garlic salt pepper marinade) once cooked the meat takes on this heavenly mahogany color, yumm!!!

Bumping this up just because there are some people out there that don't like to eat the skin on a bird whether its crispy or rubbery! I know this is a chicken, but the same could be done on a turkey, which we have done several times.

Enjoy Thanksgiving!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky