My very first smoke! ! !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chase1300

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Dayton, Ohio
Well I finally did it!!! I got this 4-in-1 for Father's Day and Iim just today using the smoker. I've used the gas grill but never the smoker.

First I'd like to say thank you for all the help I've gotten from this site. I've been reading as much as I can since a joined a few weeks ago. And I finally got the courage to actually smoke something. I've never smoked anything before. So, I'm completely new to smoking. I've been grilling for years...we'll see it that helps any. Lol.

I went with a whole chicken (6 lbs) and about 8 thighs. It turned out awesome. My fiancee said it was the best chicken she has ever tasted. The skin (just like I read) was a bit rubbery, but that's ok. I was prepared for that. I was going to put it on the grill for a little while but I figured I would try it just smoked and see how it was for myself. Now I know for next time. I'll try grilling it next time.

I used royal oak lump charcoal along with cherry wood. It wasn't too hard to control the temp. It ranged from 200-240 degrees. I did a few mods to my grill. I did the smoke stack extension, JB weld smoke box seams and applied the high temp gasket around the fire box and cooking chamber.

I used more fuel than I was expecting but that's ok. I'm sure it's all a part of the learning curve.

I think I will try ribs next.

I love this stuff. Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
Great job , keep em coming
icon_exclaim.gif

have fun and . . .

Thanks for the feedback and words of encouragement. Yeah I think I'm hooked. Now I think I'm going to invest in a good thermo. I'm thinking about the maverick 733. We will,see.

I will post pix of whatever else I finally decide on for the next cook. Maybe a Fatty. I'm still a bit leary of the brisket. I want to get a few more smokes under my belt before I do one of those. Lol

Thanks again.

Brisket is just one of them things.....but not as bad as it sounds.

Check a local butcher, ours usualy has briskets in the 5-7 lb range so it doesn't hurt so much if things turn a little south on ya

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky