My UDS Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shadowwalker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Well guys and gals yesterday I built my first UDS....

3 3/4 inch holes 2 inches from the bottom

2 with caps one with a ball valve

Rack 7 inches from the top

I didn't put a smoke stack on it I just used the bung hole on top of the drum

Painted it with high temp paint

Drilled a hole for my digital probe to go in

Built my basket 9 inches tall and 14 inches round from expanded metal

seasoned the inside..loaded the basket about 3/4 full then put a couple of wood chunks then about 15 hot coals in the middle

Got up to 180 so I plugged one cap

Got up to 200 plugged the second cap

Got up to 225 slightly closed the ball valve and it held a good 225 to 230 from 1030 till 600 this afternoon using very litle briqs before I started shutting it down

I think i will be ok without a stack and just use the bung hole for smoke exhaust.....any input on that?

Thanks to all the pros who post to help us newbies

I built one for a buddy with a removable drum lid and a dome lid and he uses the barrel lid most of the time

and has no problems with it ,in fact he likes it better than the dome lid cause when he's done .he'll put the bung back in to keep out the rain and it snuffs out any hot coals quicker

Thanks dave for the response...is that long of a hold at 225 to 230 about right? or do I need to tweak it more

7 hours and only varying 5 degrees, I'd say you got it 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I say you nailed the temp thing, 7" aint much room from a flat lid to get a few butts in there, might want to add a basement.

thanks guys how much farther down should I add the second rack...I am thinking of leaving these holders positioned at the 7 inches and adding more to just drop this rack down for butts....

Here's my layout, this is only for reference as there's a hundred ways to build them. Sometimes I put my fire basket on the 20" level, meat on the 30" and use it like a grill. Eventually I'll find a weber lid on craigslist for free just for different options.

The top grill is only 4" from the top of the barrel, I only use this one for grilling with no lid. You shouldnt need a smoke stack, I just have triples on mine to be cool.
icon_cool.gif

19b0acc1_smokerlayout.jpg

f7a8b621_lid2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks meat for the diagram...my basket is 9 inches tall and add the 3 inch legs that is 12 inch height......so should I measure 24 inches from the bottom of the drum for the basement rack? that would put me 12 inches over the basket...

I try for 24 inches above the top of  the charcoal  in the basket filled

If your around 24 inches above the charcoal you should be good 

Thanks meat for the diagram...my basket is 9 inches tall and add the 3 inch legs that is 12 inch height......so should I measure 24 inches from the bottom of the drum for the basement rack? that would put me 12 inches over the basket...
My second rack is 14" from the top which gives me enough room to smoke a 20# turkey. I use the water pan more as a grease catcher to keep the drum clean.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky