My smoker is runnin' hot!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kraks

Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
NEWBIE NEEDS HELP!!!I have an electric Mr. Meat water smoker with a broken thermometer. I was making some jerky yesterday and it cooked way too fast. The electric heating coil was red hot and would light my chips on fire. I've thought of some kind of a resister that i could use to reduce the power to the machine but don't know if there is one that can be plugged in to the smoker. Or something like a christmas light timer that will turn on and off every 20-30 miniuts. Is there a better way to get those chips to to heat until they smoke and not fire? Help! I don't want to ruin a brisket!

hang in there man someone on the way..unforturnely i do not have the expertise on electric smokers....i say unplug until the temp gets down to 200 and then plug back in until desire temp and pull the plug again..hope this kinda helps

You should head over to roll call and introduce yourself. its a tradition here.
I don't know much about electric smokers but sounds like you have a problem. Some one should be along soon that can help you.

one time I cut one of the two wires of the plug in wire and spliced a rotary light switch in there. It worked perfect on my hot plate. It may work for you too?

Do you know the wattage on the heating element? What is the wire guage going to the smoker? You could try a light dimmer in line, but to get one over 600 watts you normally have to go to an electrical warehouse. Pass Seymore and Lutron both make high wattage dimmers, but they are not cheap. Not sure if an el cheapo 600 watt from Lowes would work. As always if your not sure of your self with electricity don't do it.
http://www.passandseymour.com/pdf/U119-U121.pdf

Maybe some one else has a better idea. Hope this helps

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky