My first smoke chicken and ABTs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jonmeskeete

Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Fairhaven, MA
I found this forum a while ago and have been reading all the tips that all of the knowledgeable people here have been posting. I was finally able to get the smoker that I have wanted for a few years now. I love this place I found a way to combine my two favorite interests bbq and photography.
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

So for my first smoke I decided to try smoking some chicken thighs and some ABTs. I brined the chicken thighs for a bought 8 hrs then I rubbed them with a rub that I have used in the past for grilling chicken.

The ABTs are stuffed with plain creme cheese and toped with some applewood smoked bacon.

Here are some of the photos of the prepped food I will follow with some of the finished Q in a little while
9b0d2e50_vbattach21623.jpg

ad448476_vbattach21622.jpg

e4c248b5_vbattach21621.jpg

2f923716_vbattach21620.jpg

Welcome to the forum Jon! Sounds like you're gonna love it here...especially if pics & food are your interests! What type/brand of smoker is that? I've never seen one like it before...

Again, welcome aboard!

Eric

welcome! looking good so far!

never be shy about asking questions - questions plus advice plus research plus experience are the only ways to learn ~ even then, the best lessons are often learned from our mistakes!

Here are the rest of the picks that I had promised the chicken I smoked until the internal temp was 165 they came out great. I was so excited that I almost forgot to take the finished picture. The family really loved them and the ABTs were awesome, yea I am hooked and there is no turning back now, not that I would want to.

This smoke was from yesterday and was planning on smoking a brisket today but the weather up here lately has been 1 nice day followed by 2-4 of rain. hopefully Wednesday will be nice it is my next day off and I plan to do the brisket then. If it clears up later today I will probably try to smoke something small like some stuffed mushrooms. if it does I will let you know how I make out and of course any tips would be greatly appreciated.
c677b605_vbattach21626.jpg

01e5d025_vbattach21627.jpg

c2de0cbd_vbattach21628.jpg

0e780c8b_vbattach21629.jpg

Glad to have you with us at SMF, Jon. The first smoke you posted is definitely worthy of points so lemmie give some to ya!

Hope to see some more qvue from you soon!

Welcome aboard. FYI, if the skin was on the rubbery side, try throwing it on a hot charcoal or gas grill for 5 to 10 minutes to crisp up the skin. I'm not suppose to eat it, but sometimes I just gotta have a little bite.

Welcome aboard Jon. Another Traeger owner, fantastic. Yer gonna love the food you get with that smoker. And the folks here are a fantastic help on everything.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky