My first sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did the package say fresh sausage?

Hey you are ahead for me. I had the worst time getting mine to fill the casings after they cooled, I would always get alot of shrinkage. But all of a sudden that isint a problem, Dont know why or what I did but my sausage always tasted great but it took a bit for it to be pretty.

Keep up the good work.

Good job Rap! I don't know how I missed this one. Quality
points.gif

Great looking breakfast sausages!

Making some today myself and doing my research...

TJ

Great looking breakfast sausages!

Making some today myself and doing my research...

TJ
Thanks Todd, I can't wait to see how they turn out.

I guess I got lucky on my first try. Everyone says you can't get the pink(ham-like) color without cure. I have called the manufacturer of the seasoning I used and they are all on vacation. I'm gonna try again tomorrow and find out exactly what is in their product.

Happy sausage making to you 
beercheer.gif

That looks like some good sausage. Well..that just got added to my ever growing list of things I want to try. It amazes me all the things you can make....better and tastier on the smoker. What kind of grinder did you use? I'm wondering what kind of money I should spend and still end up with something that works good.

That looks like some good sausage. Well..that just got added to my ever growing list of things I want to try. It amazes me all the things you can make....better and tastier on the smoker. What kind of grinder did you use? I'm wondering what kind of money I should spend and still end up with something that works good.
Thanks racenut, I used my Kitchen-Aid grinder attachment. As some here has said it is a little slow but if you're only making 10-20lbs it works fine.(for me that is)

I was cleaning out my man-cave yesterday and found 2 enterprise #10 hand grinders I forgot I had, I'm cleaning them up now and hope to get to use them next time.

Awesome first helping of pancakes & smoked sausage!!!

You forgot the smile on the face though!!!  
smile.gif

Thanks,

Bear

That looks Fantastic Rap !!!!!

Was it a pre-mix?

It obviously had cure in it----Sure looks great.

I could eat a few feet of that!   
drool.gif

Thanks for showing,

Bear
Hey Bear, heres a link to the seasoning i used, it was the#10 blend

I'm new to the game, but I thought "fresh sausage" shouldn't be smoked unless a "cure" was added. I don't see any cure listed in the #10 blend, but the "smoked" blends show cure in them. I'm sure someone will correct me if my "thought" is incorrect on fresh sausage vs. smoked. Regardless.... it looks fantastic!

Last edited:
 I'm new to the game, but I thought "fresh sausage" shouldn't be smoked unless a "cure" was added. I don't see any cure listed in the #10 blend, but the "smoked" blends show cure in them. I'm sure someone will correct me if my "thought" is incorrect on fresh sausage vs. smoked. Regardless.... it looks fantastic!  
 Thanks jbom,

It is possible to smoke fresh sausage without "cure" but you have to make SURE!  the internal temp reaches140º in 4hrs

But to be on the safe side I would recommend only smoking sausage that has "cure" in it.

Great looking sausage but it sure looks like it has a cure in it...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky