My first pizza fattie, with lots of Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

que-ball

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Here's my first attempt at a pizza fattie. First, the ingredient spread. This pick always worries me, because I feel locked in.

The JD Italian rolled out in a ziplock.

The mozzarella cheese.

Pizza sauce, pepperoni, and diced onions added. Oops! The pepperoni isn't in this pic, but trust me--I used too much!

With the summer trowdown coming up, I thought I would show a step by step bacon weave. I started with seven strips laid out horizontally on saran wrap. Seven strips are as wide as one strip is long, and it's the right size weave to cover a fattie based on a 1# chub.
I pealed the ends of every other slice back, and laid the first verical slice over the remaining horizontals.
I replaced the strands that had been pealed back, folded the other horizontal strips back over my first vertical, and laid down my second vertical slice.

Repeat for the third vertical slice,

and so on until the weave is complete.

I rolled the fattie up in the bacon weave using the saran wrap, tucked the ends of the 'tootsie roll' under, and put it in the freezer to firm up.

Sorry, no pics while on the smoke, but here it is coming off (176*). I ended up with a Denver omelet in a bag fattie too (green pepper, cheddar, onion, eggs), but didn't get any pics of the prep on that one. The pizza fattie is on the bottom.

And sliced for the plate.

It tasted good, but the bacon was chewier than I like, and I way underestimated how much fat would render out of the pepperoni. My usual 'drip pan' of a piece of aluminum foil pressed into the bottom oven grate of my fridge smoker to make a bunch of depressions between the wires just didn't cut it this time. No blowout, but the little depressions filled up, excess grease ran off the edges, and got all over my smokewood pan, burner, and the floor of the fridge. I've got some cleanup to do before my next smoke!

Having the mess sucks, but much did you enjoy it?
Gotta give you points for the nice job with the weave, and nice slice of cheese and dice of onions.

Tim, points for the instructions on the weave...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
. What kind of wood did you use for the smoke? Curious about the omelette, did you pre-scramble the eggs?

After seeing this I'm going to pull an Italian chub out of the freezer now. Great job. I think you'd get a crispier bacon if you use Oscar Meyer. A bit more expensive but better results.

I was wondering how you could have "too much pepperoni" but that makes sense that it would do that, I guess, pepperoni does get pretty greasy. Thanks for the heads up and letting us know about that outcome. Everything looks mighty tasty!

Nice job on the fattie and good choice on filling. Fine job my man.

Glad you folks liked the bacon weave tutorial. I've learned alot from reading this forum, and glad I could pay it forward. For anyone who's still scared of doing one, this was only about my fourth try ever, and the weave took only about five minutes to do. That includes washing my hands after laying each slice so I could snap my Q-view!

The bacon brand was an experiment, on sale at Walmart for $2/lb or some such. I could have crisped it up more by turning my smoker temp up to 300* for a bit, but I was getting hungry!

I used hickory chunks for this smoke, another experiment. It gave a slightly milder smoke flavor than the mesquite chips I've used previously.

For my omelet fattie, I put my ingredients (raw eggs, diced onion, green pepper, ham, and cheddar cheese) in a quart freezer bag and boiled it until the eggs were done, about 20 minutes. It's called an "omelet-in-a-bag", and has become a popular way to cook breakfast around here. I actually did two bags at once, one for breakfast right away and the other set aside for my fattie.

I think my next fattie will be a Philly cheesesteak one over cherry or apple wood, but it's going to have to wait. I still have that nastiness to clean out of my smoker, and I just got a card that I have a package to pick up at the post office. I'm thinking it's my Curley's order, and if that's the case I'll be rubbing up some venion roasts with their prime rib rub per MossyMo's advice. I'll keep y'all posted!

Fast service from Curley's! Ordered 6/27, shipped 6/29, on my doorstep 7/1 if I had been home to receive it.

Let the fun begin!

I smoked it for about three hours total, and my smoker temp averaged about 220*, though it varied +/- 15*. Final internal temperature was 176*. Next time I think I would precook the pepperoni (microwave?) to render the grease off so it isn't so messy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky