My first "new" electric smoker-- cleaning question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tylerbrady

Original poster
Jul 29, 2015
My friend just got a new smoker and gave me his old 30" Masterbuilt electric smoker.

I cleaned the drip tray, racks, etc. but my question revolves around cleaning the inside of the smoker. He had not used it in almost a year and it was really gross and I did a pretty thorough cleaning job but should I scrape the inside of the smoker to get the black off the walls or leave it as is?

Also any general advice about cleaning the smoker that hasn't been used in a year would be awesome. Thanks a lot guys!

I would not scrape the sides. The build up on the walls is normal. I would just clean it with some hot water and vinegar to knock off any loose pieces and kill off any mold then run it at its highest setting for 3-4 hours to make sure there is no mold or any other spores/bacteria in it. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky