My first FATTY smoke (w/ Q-VIEW)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duffygould

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Last night I was smoking some ears of corn, and once they were done I figured I'd better not waste any good smoke. So I threw on one of my FATTY's (seasoned up with some maple syrup, pepper, salt and a bit of sweet grilling spices). about 3 hours later the internal temp of it peaked out at around 145, so I heated up the oven and finished it off in there for an hour.

And I tell you what thats some of the best breakfast sausage I've ever had.

Now here's the Q-view yall have been waiting for while reading

Right out of the oven

A couple test pieces before I went to bed.

Over all a good smoke in my eyes. Did this bad boy with my freshly mod'ed ECB. So far only problem since mods was the temp highs and lows, I'm thinkin I'm gonna switch to sand, Any tips on that????

Put foil over the sand to keep the grease out. This way you can reuse the sand. Also keep an eye on the temps. They should go higher with the sand I would expect.

That's exactly spot on. The temps will go higher than you probably expect so keep a good watch out.

As a comparison, I did a turkey for Thanks giving on the smoker. With a normal pan full of charcoal and sand, I could maintain 350 degrees for over 5 hours in 20 degree weather.

Duffy,
You can stuff the fatty with anything your imagination will allow. Cheese is one of my favorites. I like to put cheese (american, cheddar, swiss cream, or whatever .... or a combination of them) along with some peppers (your choice) and perhaps some delicious onions and/or a hint of garlic. Fattys are good with almost anything stuffed in them. I've been thinking of stuffing one with some fruit. Perhaps apples or pears would be good. Be creative and have lots of fun.

Duffy,
Looks great, nice smoke ring BTW. I would guess that you could stuff with anything edible that sounds good, just not ice cream (don't ask).....

LS

Just use your imagination. Chopped onions, peppers, almost any kind of cheese, pepperoni, pasta sauce? You get the idea. I've only made two of them so far, and both came out great. Next one I'm going to stuff with sliced ham and Swiss cheese
icon_eek.gif
. Keith

Just had a couple slices on top of a taco with egg and cheese and boy that was a damn good taco! sweet/spicy/smoky yummy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky