My first cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
When I was rearranging some of the cheese I recently smoked I noticed in a couple that I could see oil on the sealed pack. Is that normal?
Where was the cheese that you were rearranging and what kind was it?  Most likely it got a little warm during the smoke.  It's fine.

T

I'm going to stock up as much as possible. I already got a hard provolone, some gouda and a few others that I'll be doing tomorrow evening. I'm going so smoke a batch per week until the weather warms up.

At what temp should I start adding ice or something in the WSM? I'm trying to avoid trial and error if possible.
Never done the Provolone. Not really seen it sittin around in grocery. Gonna look.. You like it? Colby Jack is good for me.
usa.gif

Keep the cheese below 90 degrees.

Only one I've made is Mozzarella  

Gary

Wow Gary that looks amazing! Right now I'm not ready to make my own Mozzarella so I'm thinking of buying something in the store but in not sure what kind.

Anyone smoke non-homemade mozzarella?
Sure,  in fact, I am about to smoke some for elk burgers this evening.    Method for it tonight,  shred, spread out on steaming grate which is then placed in a bowl and covered.  Open cover enough to insert the hose from a hand-held smoker and heaven forbid, pump a heavy white smoke to it, cover and let rest a few minutes.

Absolutely wonderful.

Tom

I like smoking a 8oz block of (non homemade) mozzarella. I usually on do 1.5hrs, to me it seems to soak up the smoke quicker. After its rested for a month I use it to make Bruschetta. Great snack or appetizer.
Kyle

Anyone smoke non-homemade mozzarella?
I've been messing with FRESH mozzarella.  My first batch was absolutely terrible.  I cut back on the time in the smoker to about 1.5 hours.  I also let it go vacuum sealed in the fridge for 30 days rather than 14.  It tastes fine, but probably not what I'll continue to work on.  It's got good smoke flavor, but maybe some things I need to leave alone.  

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky