My first butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greg b

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 3, 2013
Indiana
I had a "picnic cut" shoulder to smoke and my mother in law asked me to smoke a butt, so I decided to do them both at the same time. I hadn't attempted to do a any shoulders sections yet so I, once again, relied on my smoking friends here for advice. It turned out spectacular! Thank you all for posting your pics and advice/tips! SMF is such a great place! Here is my Q-view:

Gimme some rubbin':

All rubbed up and ready to soak up that wonderful applewood smoke:

After approximately 11 hours of salivating it was ready to come out:

MMMMMMMMMM....

I can't wait to do more! I did brine in applejuice, brown sugar and kosher salt the night before, and rubbed with Jeff's rub. This was mated with Granny's potato salad and sister in law's pumpkin roll for dinner. Let's just say there were some happy stomachs afterward!

drool.gif
 Looks GREAT!

Thanks for sharing.

Happy smoken.

David

Thanks, David!

I forgot to mention, the cracklins I made from the skin on the picnic cut were pretty darn good too! I saved the shoulder bone and some of that smoky fat to throw in some soup beans at a later date as well.
drool.gif

I smoked them at 235-250. They were so moist and pulled right apart.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky