My best Butt yet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jacobss914

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 10, 2010
North of Dayton, Ohio
So I had the best pulled pork I have made yet.  and wanted to document what I did to get it there.

Friday, I brined it.

Playmate cooler, water, 4 oz. of molasses, and 4 oz. of sea salt.  I then shoved it into the cooler and let it sit for 24hrs, with ice on top in a zip lock baggie.  Changed the bags every now an again.  Saturday night came, pulled it out of the brine, and covered it in my special rub. Wrapped it good and tight and tossed it into the refrig until the wee hours.

c10f4e24_PorkButt.jpg

Sunday, got up at 4;45 am, had the smoker heating up by 5 am, with a load of chips.  A fruit blend of apple and orange.  Put this out on the counter and let it warm up.

Into the MES it went, and smoked until 10:30pm, which brought it up to 196 degrees, I wanted 200 but had to pull it as I needed some sleep before heading into work.  I replaced the wood chips as needed.  Wrapped it in foil and let it sit out for another 2 hours.  BTW, I could barely get it off the rack, dang thing was falling apart in my gloves.  Into the refrig it went whole not pulled.  Last night I pulled it, and all I can say is WOW, nice and moist, great flavor, and wonderful bark.  This was my best combo yet.  Nobody over last night even touched the BBQ sauce for their plate, we all sat their and ate it straight, it was that good.  I need to get a q-view of the finished for ya....  hopefully its not all gone before I get home.

Last edited:
Looks like a great start, jacob.  Looking forward to the money shot if there is any PP left!

Yay! Way to go Jacob! Isn't it a great feeling when it comes out perfectly? It feeds your addiction though, so don't be surprised if you don't find yourself thinking more and more about smoking!

icon_cool.gif

Now this one will be new to me. Brining a butt I guess it can't hurt we have done just about evrything else to one. But go start and I'll check back in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky