MWM looking for some good fun, wait... Wrong forum!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bglass0105

Original poster
Oct 4, 2013
Arlington, TX
Seriously, howdy all!

Middle aged Texan with blossoming waistline here beginning my second time around at smoking. I have been a grill guy my whole life and believe in technology. What I mean by that is I am not necessarily a 'purist' as I have almost always used a good gas grill.

I first tried smoking a couple of years ago by buying one of the inexpensive Brinkman vertical smokers at one of the big box stores and used good ol' lump charcoal. Always had a real tough time maintaining any sort of temperature, couldn't ever seem to hold much above 200. Found it to be very high maintenance. Certainly didn't feel comfortable leaving it unattended. I finally hung up my gloves when the water got low one time, started boiling pretty good, splashed grease drippings from the ribs onto the fire and ended up with flames coming from the top vents (but it sure was rolling smoke!).

About 2 months ago we decided to give it another shot and bought a 30" MES online. Had heard lots of good things about the safety factor, ease of use and ability to maintain an effective temperature. First tried some ribs, but came out a bit chewy. Next tried a brisket (just winging it at this point) and was cooking to internal temp, but knew nothing of the plateau. Pulled it a little into what I now know was the first plateau and then didn't slice against the grain.

Then I found SMF. It has all turned around now!

Based on the plethora of knowledge I have found on here, I have now done several briskest that have been incredible. One went for nearly 18 hours! I feel very comfortable sharing my food with others and receive nothing but compliments. This smoker is just a breeze to use. Have no fear of leaving it going all night or leaving the house while it's going.

I just did some ribs this weekend using the 2-2-1 method and was very impressed. Just did some beer can chickens this morning.

Now that the smoker itself, fuel and ability to hold temp are no longer a concern, I look forward to learning more from you guys are really start focusing on the seasoning and development of the final product.

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

Happy smoken.

David

Welcome to SMF!  Thank you so much for joining us!  If you would, please add a location to your profile so we know where you hail from!  So glad you found us here and there is a wealth of knowledge we can all share!  We all love everyone showing off their smoking experiences; we've nicknamed it "Qview" for an appropriate term of your smoking pictures and everyone enjoying it!  

We do have some things to consider; please see our user guidelines: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/user-guidelines.

We all try to be polite and have respect for all others to help everyone, from rookie to old hand, enjoy and promote smoking experiences!  Again, welcome and have a great time!

Last edited:
Welcome from Canada.

Like you, I started smoking last year and had little success until I found this forum.

I look forward to your posts.

Disco

Hi BG,

welcome1.gif
 to the SMF, the best BBQ site on the web.  Whatever you need to know about the fine art of BBQ you can find it right here, from recipes to technical knowledge.

One thing you need to know about us is that we like to see pictures of your creations and your gear.  We call it Q-View and its basically the 
Rules.gif
!!!

So, don't just talk about your food, show it!  Otherwise you may get a gentle reminder, like this...

worthless.gif
  or this...
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

Good Luck and Get Smokin'

Bill

Welcome to the forums! Glad you've joined our group. You'll find there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another. Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything   ......... 
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky