Murphy and the wind kickin' my butt!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geek with fire

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 5, 2007
Rural out-skirts of Sedalia, MO
I'm sure glad my wife's out of town right now. The wind is so bad tonight, I've had to "farm engineer" a wind break. I was quite proud of it, but she would call it hill billy (to each his/her own).

The plywood and the old shower doors weren't enough; I had to use a fan to keep the firebox stoked:
2298.jpg

Finally got the temperature to keep from bouncing around:
2299.jpg

Here's the new servo arm. I added a more solid connecting arm (was a wire that kept bending):
2300.jpg

Here's the grub (4 BB ribs, and 14 skinnies):
2314.jpg

I hear ya on the wind Josh, I couldn't get the BBQ Grillware to even 200 degrees for 3 hrs yesterday, and it was sheltered from most all the wind? I think I'm gonna enclose my roof with sides and windows, kinda like what Mossy Mo has.
icon_smile.gif
The wind and rain is shreaking right now. Its 40 degrees, God knows what the wind chill is.
icon_eek.gif
Time for smoke shack mods.

Yep, I agree. Yesterday I downloaded som CAD software that helps you design a bill of material on custom sheds. I'm just trying to see how big of a "dad's kitchen" I can afford! I can see this deal spinning out of control pretty quick!

Nice engineering!! I could have used you up here in NE Nebraska today. Sounds like we had the same sort of weather you did. I just pulled my smoker inside the garage and left the garage door up.

Glad you got your set up to work and got some smokin' done.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Josh, when it comes to you, you MUST remember, "moneys no object"
icon_biggrin.gif
as long as your happy, thats all that matters.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Nice wind break. I really understand the frustration of wind. Dont understand the auto vent controll. To think I been doin it manually all this time. Obviously not a Chargriller option......

Dam AJ, I don't even wanna know what that means.
icon_eek.gif

P.S. please don't get that dag gone "Pigcicles" going again.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Where the heck is the prayer smiley on this thing??
icon_redface.gif
tongue.gif

<taps chest> Nuthin' but luv N' respect Terry - besides someone else has taken up your bad habit of puttin the R in PigCicles
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

Now that's creation on the fly. Nice use of your rib rack too! I can't afford a "Dad's Kitchen", but how about a Smoke Cave...

Neat solution! I'm afraid I still have to regulate my CG the old fashioned way, with a gloved hand.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

I just thought that they might dry out a bit ... so, how did they turn out?
Did you 3-2-1 or use a different method Josh?

BTW, I'm lovin' your control centre ... very cool!

darn em, I tell ya what Joe, you need to put a Rodney Dangerfield clip in your sig line up, "you don't get no respect."
icon_eek.gif
icon_razz.gif

They were BB's, so I normally use about a "2-2-1". However, it turned into a "2.5-2-.75". The meat didn't pull back as fast as it normally does, so I did the first leg a little long. Foil time was the same, but I cut back on the last leg a bit because the glaze buildup looked good enough to stop. I experimented this time with cooking the glaze before hand. It reduced to about 75%, so was a little thicker to start (peaches, sugar, and honey.....lip smackin' goodness)

By the time the ribs had rested, I just wanted to get 'em chopped up and in the fridge (and then to bed), so no Q-view. Maybe I'll take some shots of the 1 bag that's left. Took the first bag (2 racks) to my Uncle this morning. Hope they had a nice lunch!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky