Morning everyone!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

staatus quo

Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
Rochester, NY
Hey everyone,

I'm Kiley (yes I'm a guy, the name is Irish) and I've been smoking meats for about 8 years now with what I always thought was a great smoker, just to recently learn it was a total POS to most people in the industry, without heavy modification; a Char-Griller Smokin' Pro. Anyways, my friends always had me "cater" their get-togethers because they loved my smoked meats and homemade sauces and sides. Well, a change in employment allowed me to begin starting a real catering business and I purchased dual Landmann 3895GWLA's in preparation for getting the business started. After a week of hours of research (wifey loved that! lol) and not being able to afford starting with a Spicewine Smoker like I wanted I figured these propane units would be good for smoking overnight (with some mods) vs. wood/coal of another offset that always pulled me away from my parties because of constant babysitting.

Anyways, it looks like a great community here with lots of great advice and helpful people and I can't wait to start contributing. 

Welcome to the forums, Kiley!  Glad you've joined us.  You've found a great place to learn and share ideas on our favorite pastimes...grilling, smoking, and curing great food!  There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who really enjoy helping one another.  Just ask any time you need help and you'll get plenty!

Red

welcome1.gif
to SMF!  We are so glad you decided to join us! 

If you didn't read the "Terms of Service" notes.....please do.  There are a few things that everyone should know about those pesky little rules before plunging into the forums. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/terms-of-service

If you need any help roaming around the forums....just holler!  Happy to help out!

Kat

Hi Kiley! :welcome1: to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 50,000 members who just love to share their experience and over 900,000 posts describing it!

The search bar at the top can be your best friend when you are trying to find answers to your questions but you can still ask too if you want!

We have an Articles section that is full of great information about smoking to include a lot of recipes and instructionals. Check it out there is a lot to learn in there!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-Course, it will teach you all the basics plus a whole lot more!

Hey Kiley, welcome to the site.  We're about 60 miles east of Rochester.  There a lot of New Yorkers on the site.

Regarding your old smoker don't worry about what others think.  You can make good Q with just about anything that will hold meat and heat.  A lot of folks have improvised with cardboard boxes both with and without foil lining.  As an old shooting coach used to tell me when I started to whine about getting better equipment "Son, it ain't the arrow, it's the indian"

Even with "better" smokers around the farm I still use a pair of El Cheapo Brinkmanns (AKA ECBs) on occasion.

I wish you luck.

Lance

Thanks everyone. And yeah Lance, I still love my Char-Griller cheepo, it's what I learned on over the past 8 years but it'll be only for grillin' now since I have the dual Landmanns on the way now for the business. So Lance, you're around the 'Cuse area then huh?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky