Moink ball question, injecting?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nascott

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
Western Suburbs of Chicagoland
So, the first time I did moink balls, I made them from scratch.. They were good, but it was a lot more work than I want to spend tomorrow morning getting ready for March madness because they need to be ready by 11:30 central time.

Tomorrow's will be with store bought, pre cooked beef meatballs that i put in the fridge tonight so they will take the toothpick through them.

My question... Is the bacon enough to keep them from drying out? Or... I am thinking about injecting them a bit to get a little extra moisture inside. Creole butter is one thought, though I know that's more traditional for poultry, or maybe a little buffalo/barbecue sauce mix?

Am I crazy to think this way? Anyone ever tried it?

Might be a little more work than you want, but I have used really lean ground beef to make them and found that if you stuff a cube of cheese in the middle it helps with the moisture and its delicious.

A regulation / official "Moink Ball" is a Frozen-Beef -Ball , Wrapped in Bacon and Rolled in or coated with a Rub and sauced on finishing (glazed).
drool.gif
smile.gif

I ended up injecting them with a bit of a sweet bbq sauce diluted with apple juice. Added the perfect amount of moisture to let the bacon cook to as done as Iike it and added a nice bit of flavor, too.

Yep-good ol' Moink balls are the go to appetizer along with ABT's when I'm doing a big family get-together. The beef meatballs (the Mo) wrapped with bacon (the Oink) is a project that Ma Dutch has the grandkids do to keep them busy and away from the hot smoker.

I've made them ahead of time for game day and then Ma puts them in the slow cooker [on high] with some thinned down bbq sauce (thinned with canned low-sodium beef stock) and brings them up to temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky