Mods to my new Landman 3895GWLA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lamar

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
Bridgton Me
Drilling holes already!   First,  I built a stand to elevate it to a more comfortable height.  Since it is wood, I added a sheet of aluminum on spacers for a heat shield below the burner.  The fan blows the smoke out of the cooking area.

Then I added a place for thermometers that is easy to see.

Since it is outside I decided to add a wind shield to both ends and the back side.  Not painted yet.

There was a small problem with the door and the thermometer.  Called Landman and they are sending replacements for both.  Good customer service.

I will probably add a needle valve as so many suggest.  Any other ideas?

Reactions: carlnjpn
Great idea on the holes for thermometer wires. I have the same smoker and was feeding my wires down the top vent and resting the transmitter on a wood block. Well now my transmitter is ugly brown instead of white because of the smoke hitting it.

Hello Lamar, I have that exact same smoker and would love to add the windshields to the legs like you did. Is there any way you could send me the specs or measurements for the side and back? Also what kind of screws did you use to mount the shields to the legs? Thanks.

Lamar,

I have a similar Landman smoker, but have always been a bit disappointed in the burn time of the included smoker tray. Am considering adding either a SmokeDaddy or Bradley unit to the side for both longer smoke times and doing some cold smoking for cheese. Any ideas on this subject?

Good looking mods btw...

Bruce Covey

I assume you are referring  to the burn time of the smoke chunks.  I usually put in one hickory chunk about the size of my hand.  It will smoke 3-4 hours with the GOSM running 230-240F.  When it is almost burned out,   Just add another chunk.   I do not wet the wood. 

Thanks for the comments on the mods.

If I can be of any more help.........just ask.

Thanks for the info. If I could ask one more question…

Do you use the small smoker box supplied by Landman for your wood chunk? I've always used chips and never considered a good sized chunk.

Using chips may be why you are burning up so fast.   I just  place the chunk in the pan in the lower drawer and let it smoke.   I don't use water in the pan.  I line it with foil and use it for a catch pan.  Easier to replace foil than have to wash grease and other drippings out of the pan.

I am also amazed at how many hours of cooking I get out of one bottle of gas.

I assume you are referring  to the burn time of the smoke chunks.  I usually put in one hickory chunk about the size of my hand.  It will smoke 3-4 hours with the GOSM running 230-240F.  When it is almost burned out,   Just add another chunk.   I do not wet the wood. 

I have the gosm 38" and I also use chunks. I use chunks that are then length of the box, they are thick enough to where the lids barely fits. I normally get about 45 min of smoke and im lucky to get an hour out of one chunk. Thays keeping my temp about 230
I also seem to get a lot of white smoke. I was thinking the metal was to thin on the chip tray but maybe I have some other issue going on. To much oxygen maybe.

Lamar,

I have a similar Landman smoker, but have always been a bit disappointed in the burn time of the included smoker tray. Am considering adding either a SmokeDaddy or Bradley unit to the side for both longer smoke times and doing some cold smoking for cheese. Any ideas on this subject?

Good looking mods btw...

Bruce Covey

Ditto, how you stack can also dictate burn time.

Thanks for the info. If I could ask one more question…

Do you use the small smoker box supplied by Landman for your wood chunk? I've always used chips and never considered a good sized chunk.
Chip boxes vary, Depending on the model and place of purchase.

Using chips may be why you are burning up so fast.   I just  place the chunk in the pan in the lower drawer and let it smoke.   I don't use water in the pan.  I line it with foil and use it for a catch pan.  Easier to replace foil than have to wash grease and other drippings out of the pan.

Ditto on the chunks.

I'm a water guy, unless making jerky.

I have the gosm 38" and I also use chunks. I use chunks that are then length of the box, they are thick enough to where the lids barely fits. I normally get about 45 min of smoke and im lucky to get an hour out of one chunk. Thats keeping my temp about 230
I also seem to get a lot of white smoke. I was thinking the metal was to thin on the chip tray but maybe I have some other issue going on. To much oxygen maybe.
Too much heat, they are burning up too quickly, place a diffuser below the chip pan or raise it, you may also be able to get away with laying a few tiny pebbles in the chip box and place the wood on that so it is not touching the metal box.

Spent wood below

Try top avoid them ashing completely, these can be reused as Lump Charcoal

Wood cut different sizes

Longer smokes, stacked or placed on the narrow side.

Quick smoke pieces (small) and long smoke pieces (large and stacked)

SQWIB, thanks for all that info. I think I going to try putting a diffuser in the bottom of my chip tray or stack them. Thanks for that post.

I have some thin gauge aluminum panels in all my junk collection, so I just measured the legs and cut the panels accordingly. 

Attached with self-tapping metal screws.  A real simple modification to do.

If you have not seen it,  here is a link to how I insulated it.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/151626/insulating-the-landman-38-wide
Thanks. I'll check out the insulation link too.

I am too...this thing is really good on propane for the amount of heat it puts out. Great smoker.

I got a brass nipple and two brass nuts at the hardware store for a bushing for the thermometer probes to pass through.  Very simple mod.

Some day I'll adopt the KISS method of engineering... I'm always over complicating things.

Thanks, and love all the mods you've done.

Later,
FarmHand78
Nathan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky