Mods. and trial this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hernando

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Denver
So currently I have the brinkman vert smoker. I have had it for almost a year now and still yet to successfully smoke anything. I tried approx four times last year first with ribs and chicken thighs. These smoked for about 8 hours and the thighs were pretty dang raw inside. I 've moved it to windy areas, non-windy areas sunny areas, you name it

Problem: The smoker doesn't reach temp. It never reaches 200 F.
I've read that this smoker (as well as other Brinkman's) continually have these issues.

Solution: Drill holes in the pan? That didn't work. So now I am going to buy a grilling wok for this as it should fit and has many holes in it already. I also bought a fiberglass oven gasket kit for the two doors. I really hope that this helps/get and keep the smoker at temp.

Question: There are four vents on this smoker two lower two upper, what is the recommendation for setting the vents. keep closed, open partial? Are there any other thoughts as to what may need to be done to get this smoker functional as it was intended to be?

Fiberglass rope

Charmglow grilling wok

And, a lot less smoke coming out the doors!

Is this a propane or charcoal model? As a general rule leave the top vents open and control the heat/air intake with the bottom vents. Have you checked the thermometer to make sure it is right? Most stock thermometers on the door are not accurate.

It is charcoal. I did get an oven thermometer It is maintaining a temp of 210 F. as I type this. So I am very happy right now with the simple cheap modifications I made. I have the upper vents fully open as you suggested. Thank you for chiming in. I appreciate it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky